Archinect
anchor

Tips for making a good resume

somewhat_concerned

I'm making a resume and I'm looking for any helpful advice on what to include, specifically for those looking for an entry level job in architecture. Thoughts?

Jun 1, 18 11:39 am

1 Featured Comment

All 6 Comments

Non Sequitur

Whatever you do, don't add a graph or chart showing your software skills.

Jun 1, 18 11:44 am  · 
 · 
nabrU

I wish this site had a like button. I agree.

Jun 2, 18 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Also don’t layout portfolio pages as if they are competition boards with extreme restrictions on number of boards/pages. White space does not add to file size.

Jun 2, 18 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
somewhat_concerned

Ha...I do have that in my current one. Why do you think that shouldn't be included? Is it because it would be a biased assessment of my skills since I'm making it?

Jun 5, 18 11:49 am  · 
 · 
somewhat_concerned

True! I heard white space is always a good thing

Jun 5, 18 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Get rid of it. Everyone thinks they are software wizards right out of school because they can press the render button. oooooh 9/10 in revit? how modest of you.

Jun 5, 18 11:57 am  · 
 · 
somewhat_concerned

Should I just list the softwares I feel most comfortable/proficient using?

Jun 5, 18 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes. List the software without making a big deal of your self-evaluated skills. Make proficient and working knowledge columns if you must split them.

Jun 5, 18 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Don't make it too cheesy or try to puff yourself up like you have a lot of experience if you don't.  Be honest about your experience and your past roles in projects if you have any. Portray yourself as someone eager to learn and wanting to pitch in and do your part to help on a team.  If you're applying for entry level, it's assumed that you know little to nothing so do not try to portray yourself as an expert of anything, including software.

Jun 1, 18 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Archinect
somewhat_concerned

Thank you!

Jun 5, 18 11:50 am  · 
 · 
tduds

My resume matches my portfolio, as do my personal business cards, and my website.

I can't say for sure that it's the graphic consistency, but I seem to get more callbacks / interviews than with my old black serif on white layout. Ours is a design profession, and it's good to remember that that extends beyond your specifically architectural projects.

Jun 1, 18 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
somewhat_concerned

Thanks! That's a good thing to think about.

Jun 5, 18 11:52 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

you know what is impressive?

Seeing resumes that are:

1. Clear in terms of longevity of employment and the roles you played there.

2. Increasing responsibility/seniority of title

3. Longevity of employment (no hopping around ever year)

4. Clarity of project type and budget

All of this supplemented by a good portfolio and professional presenation of content.

Oh and last but not least- honesty. If you used rhino 8 years ago, but havnt touched it since- dont put on your resume that your are proficient. You are rusty at best.

Jun 5, 18 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

List of skills and how you will make the firm money! If you aren't an asset your a liability!

Jun 6, 18 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: