Archinect
anchor

Advice on starting over in a new state. What do i bring to interviews?

CJKlimovich

I have been recently laid off and am looking for a new job, possibly in San Diego. I am a New York licensed architect with twenty years experience. I am studying for the California Supplemental Exam and have a trip planned to the area  for a week. I have researched some firms I'd like to apply to, however after 20 years I do not have a portfolio. Whenever I changed jobs here in New York, I brought construction sets for projects I had worked on as I am a Project Architect / Project Manager along with copies of my resume. However, I am not sure if this is the best tactic for San Diego firms. Since I will be visiting I was thinking of compiling a booklet with my resume, a list of former projects, references and drawings from project CD sets. if I have any renderings from those projects I would include those as well with a cover letter telling about myself, my experience and what I am looking to do as an Architect in California and dropping it off at the firms I was interested in with hopes of maybe speaking to someone. 

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on the above? What I should include as work samples? 

Anyone work in an architectural firm in San Diego and can give me advice on how hard it will me to make the career move from NY with regards to landing a job?

Thanks.

May 27, 18 2:07 pm
Beepbeep

Check out the AIA chapter job boards for listings, it seems in California there are not enough architects to fill the open jobs based on what I am seeing.

Also, with your experience have you thought about construction management or being an owners rep, or working for a developer? Much higher salary.

May 28, 18 11:42 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

A portfolio booklet you can leave behind after an interview is a good idea.  I would certainly include some beautiful renders or completed project photography to complement the samples of working drawings etc. that you were responsible for.

May 28, 18 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: