Archinect
anchor

Architecture or interior design?

jameshainstock

Hey all, appreciate your patience with yet another “which path?” question 

I’m trying to decide (before I sign up for CC classes) which program would be better to pursue. At an art school in my town, there’s interior design. At a tech school, there’s a BS in architecture (that’s also 5 year M. Arch. So 4+1) Art school is cheaper. 

I feel like my personality is more lined to going for interior design. I believe in the aesthetics of space over the form of space. I would rather take classes related to textiles and fabric, than construction materials. I like the concept of the psychology of our spaces affecting our “happiness” than designing a building step by step. I also think the quality of my work would be better in interior than architecture  

But with an M. Arch, I think those skills would make me JUST as skilled as a degree in interior, yet making me very versatile as I remain open minded about where it is my skills are being honed. 

Any insight to offer on if an M. Arch will make me just as employable as interior and if those skills will all be interrelated? Throw everything you got at me 

May 26, 18 6:09 pm
Beepbeep

do the M.arch and then you can do both, plus you will learn much more about design, theory, history, etc. You can easily tailor your architecture studies to interiors.

May 26, 18 10:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: