Archinect
anchor

How soon before graduating should I apply for jobs?

Anon_grad2.0

hi everyone,

As the title states, ive been wondering about a time frame for a soon to be graduate. 

I’m technically finishing my b.arch one semester early, I’ll be finished with school in August. 

Should I be looking for work now?

Also, what is the best way to attack this task. Should I fill out online applications online, send cold emails...

Thanks

May 18, 18 1:06 pm
Non Sequitur

Yes, you should start looking for work as soon as you can.  Make it known on the cover letters what your expected start dates are.

As for strategy, that depends on where you're looking to work.  Start with the local arch associations and big name firms with open door policies towards job applications.  Then narrow the search to smaller offices by customizing applications towards them.  Ask around and network to see where projects are and who is likely to have jobs available by end of summer.  

May 18, 18 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Anon_grad2.0

Thanks, I have a list of about 15 firms I would like to work at;however, none have any current job listings. Maybe I'll get lucky...

May 18, 18 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Get your resume and portfolio in the hands of the principles instead of mass emailing the admin staff.

May 18, 18 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

Just because there isn't a listing doesn't mean there isn't an opportunity. Many offices don't actively hire unless they stumble across the right candidate and fit. If you're graduating in August, start now. Keep in mind this is the time of year that the market for fresh graduates is flooded. Be upfront about the August or later start date.

May 18, 18 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Many, if not most, good architecture jobs are not advertised.

May 19, 18 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Depends...how soon after graduation would you like to start working? Do you want/need a break or not, etc.

May 19, 18 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Anon_grad2.0

Like the day after finishing my courses...lol I have loans to pay

May 19, 18 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

In that case, don't waste your time archinecting, write some damn applications!

May 20, 18 7:32 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

Arch_grad2.0 -- If you have not already done so, you might want to speak with a number of your professors, asking their advice re. job opportunities. In many communities a recommendation from a professor -- who presumably knows something about your character and your ability -- can open doors that otherwise might be difficult to crack.

Even if you don't want to work in the community where your school is located, your professors might have relationships elsewhere that could prove helpful.

Good luck.

May 20, 18 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: