Archinect
anchor

resolving a spiral grid

sonailaqazi

So, i made this plan based on escher's spiral grid and the golden ratio grid overlapping. left side of the building is double storied and right side is a bamboo hemisphere. 

I'm having trouble resolving the grid structure for this. wherever my concentric circle grid overlaps, the columns appear in awkward places. and i'm wondering if there even is a way to keep the plan as close to the original as possible by adding any kind of grid.

Any help or critique would be highly appreciated

May 18, 18 11:46 am

1 Featured Comment

All 4 Comments

Non Sequitur

Yes there is a way, you just need to design the structure to suit the concept(s).  a simple X by Y grid will always look wonky when the geometry is curved.  You need to look at this as a design problem.

For example, increase the size of some columns so that you can delete the most awkward ones and hide them inside of curved walls where possible. Use arches, or trusses, of heavy sheer walls, etc...

May 18, 18 11:52 am  · 
 · 
sonailaqazi

that makes sense, and do you think a customized grid might work for this? like if instead of the overlapping concentric grid, i follow the geometry of the walls instead

May 19, 18 2:18 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

consider other options other than rectilinear grid.

May 19, 18 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Scrap the columns, use loadbearing walls, done...

May 19, 18 6:39 am  · 
 · 
sonailaqazi

where, how? .-.

May 19, 18 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That's for you to figure out. That's why you're in school.

May 19, 18 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yup

May 20, 18 1:51 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
randomised

A curved wall is much more stable than a couple of columns. Use your design instead of adding something unnecessary. Try bending a piece of cardboard or thick paper and make it stand, now do the same with uncooked spaghetti... simply make physical models (by hand) and study the different structural options, you'll know what to do.

May 20, 18 7:23 am  · 
 · 
sonailaqazi

do you know where i can find more information on the dimensions and locations of shear walls? or can i just put them in any walls or corner i want?

May 20, 18 11:00 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You don't really need shear walls when dealing with curved walls, they are stable in more than one direction, did you try curving a piece of cardboard already and make it stand? Also look at some Richard Serra sculptures perhaps...

May 20, 18 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

the plan is cool but the section is kinda boring... solution is obviously to add diagonal columns to make the section more interesting

May 19, 18 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
sonailaqazi

that might help, thank you

May 20, 18 2:38 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Grand plan gestures like that are gimmicky. People don't experience space like that. Good designers design with light, not plan shapes. It is ok if you are a student, this is why we do school. But I recommend designing with the light.

May 20, 18 1:48 am  · 
 · 
sonailaqazi

half the structure is a foldable bamboo hemisphere, the double storied part is semi open to the hemisphere, that's where the play on light comes in.

May 20, 18 2:40 am  · 
 · 
sonailaqazi

but i understand the concern, it's a lot easier to use rectilinear shapes and mold light that way. i'll keep that in mind

May 20, 18 2:41 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm not suggesting to use rectilinear shapes because it is easier to mold light. Why is it easier to mold light with rectilinear shapes? You don't want to do what's easy anyways, you want to do what's good.

May 20, 18 10:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: