Archinect
anchor

Utilities or Services

sbattina

Hi guys-

asic question-

whats the difference between Utilities and Services?

I understand "Utilities" are services provided directly by companies who are generally the outside source for those things, such as electricity, gas, water, telephone, cable TV, etc. for the building to function.

Then what are services?  Are natural lighting, circulation corridors etc "services"?? I'm finding it hard to differentiate categories? 

Any reference books on this subject ??

any light on this appreciated...

SB

May 18, 18 11:49 am
Non Sequitur

building services often refer to service spaces such as loading, garbage, M&E rooms, basically any staging or back-of-house type space.  Utilities are your power, water, gas, data, etc.

Natural light is neither of these. 

May 18, 18 11:55 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I typically hear these terms around the entitlement type processes; zoning, etc.

So, from entitlement, I look at utilities as sort of quasi-governmental agencies (monopolies).  These would be street, power, gas, sewer, storm sewer (or storm water works) water, where you can only get them from a single agency and are necessary for health, safety and welfare and normally have authoritative powers like review, easements, and eminent domain.

Services would be your teleco, cable, satellite, fiber, propane, wind or solar, and so on that you can source from whomever you want but are integrated with other things and regulated.  

Services might also include agencies like fire department access points, security lighting for police, garbage truck access, etc.

If you are looking at it from a architectural construction document side... I might go with it being a utility if the building owner doesn't own it; transformer, gas line from the street to the meter, ditto on water & sewer.  So once the gas/electrical line crosses the meter, it is the service and branches out from there.

May 18, 18 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
sbattina

Thanks Non Sequitur! 

mightyaa , 

That kind of makes sense to separate them in terms of "quasi gov" and " commercial" sectors. 

But then what's....lets say lighting & ventilation(comes under passive heating/cooling); Rain water harvesting etc would they be services too?

SB

May 26, 18 4:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: