Archinect
anchor

NYC DOB filing

bennyc

Wondering if any NYC architects here can shed some light in the following. I recently started to do my own expediting on projects I am working on so that I can save on fees, and have control of the filing process. Up to this point, I have done a handful of filings mainly through the online development hub and have only filed architectural work which has been pretty seamless and easy. 

Recently I landed a project that's a bit more involved, and includes a structural stair for which I have hired a structural engineer. Now that I am ready to file, I am running in a bit of  confusion as to how this project is filed. Are architectural drawings always filed separately from any other consultants? Do the two structural drawings that are signed and sealed by an engineer represent a separate application? meaning, I would need duplicate pw1 forms, etc 

Thanks for any insight into this

May 16, 18 1:59 pm
BulgarBlogger

Just hire an expediter. If your client can’t afford to pay you and an expediter, they can’t afford the project. Cutting corners is NOT the way to go; if I were your client and I knew you were asking random people online for advice on how do to the worm I hired you to do, I’d fire you so fast, you wouldn’t even know you had a project to begin with.

May 16, 18 3:33 pm
Sir Apple Chrissy

small projects usually 2 filings easiest.  Larger you can do a doc1 and doc2.  File arch first (doc 1) and then structural as subsequent (doc 2) which in my experience was not easily done via the HUB and required borough filing so then you get an expeditor for that.

Bulgar - understanding how to expedite is part of being an architect, if you don't know what and how you are filing you don't know what you are doing.  Maybe OP is trying to learn.  

May 16, 18 8:19 pm
BulgarBlogger

Apple Chrissy- of course you need to know what you are signing, but you can’t be an expert in everything. The PW1 forms are a cluster fuck of information; I didn’t become an architect to be a pencil pusher... maybe that’s the extent of your expertise, but I would much rather have someone else do that for me. Knowing how to market yourself as an archtect is also part of the discipline- do i have to know how to code my own website as well? Im not saying that knowing more isnt a good thing. Im just saying that you should draw the line for where your efforts are best concentrated... design or paper pushing?

Sir Apple Chrissy

The OPs question is more on the border line paperpushing. But when it gets to legal and timeline you can either trust someone or understand the various procedural regulations of a conplex filing...to know that requires some knowledge of paperpushing.

Sir Apple Chrissy

Also OP mentions HUB. Filling out a pw1 is like filling out an internet questionaire if you know what each questions menas which means you know the code which means you understand design and what you are doing...you get thie gist. If at any point your job stops because you dont understand a simple question then we gots problems

Sir Apple Chrissy

Its a slippery slope ...

bennyc
I think NOT knowing how to file, especially for small projects is a dis service to clients.
May 17, 18 8:30 am
bennyc
I think NOT knowing how to file, especially for small projects is a dis service to clients.
May 17, 18 8:44 am
Sir Apple Chrissy

Yup.

I generally have a different PW1 for each engineer of record. 

The profession of expediting will end within the next decade or so. Kudos to bennyc for jumping in early and doing this yourself. We do that sometimes. In the end, expediters require too much hand holding and make too many clerical errors to justify their little expense. It can be more cost effective to just do it yourself, especially when you have to continuously tell them what to do to begin with. 

May 17, 18 9:35 am
Sir Apple Chrissy

James that is exactly my point

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: