Archinect
anchor

What is this strange architectural style(s)?

jayawilliams

It seems to be one thing with another style later pasted on top. Can you help me identify it (or what each style is)?

For further detail, this is located in central Los Angeles, at Melrose Ave & Wilton Pl. 

May 12, 18 7:05 pm
Wilma Buttfit

Post-decopiss.

May 12, 18 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Isn't that the famous Frank Gehry house?

May 12, 18 9:06 pm  · 
 · 

Not-so-handyman special.

May 12, 18 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Just say no.

May 12, 18 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
jayawilliams

No serious responses?

May 12, 18 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

See randomized's comment below, with the question for the OP (that's you).

May 13, 18 11:11 am  · 
 · 
parcspace

I would go for Los Angeles Deconstruction style, I guess.

May 12, 18 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
parcspace

I prefer the ones in China, really embracing a world of fanstasy and whimsy.

May 13, 18 12:09 am  · 
 · 
randomised

No clue as to what style, but it must be by an early Sci-Arc alumnus, must be...

Question for OP, are you the owner, seller, realtor or potential buyer of the property?

May 13, 18 3:58 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Stormy Daniels style 

May 13, 18 9:02 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

And....

May 13, 18 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The bottom story and much of the second story seems to be the Art Deco style. That would include the horizontal beams splaying out in a fan pattern on the second story. The only 'Spanish Colonial Revival' aspects are the Spanish tiles and the pink paint.

May 13, 18 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Menona

Ill-informed/considered post-modernism.

Post-Modern Bricolage

You could just say Postmodern, but it never hurts to throw in a bit of derision whenever possible (and in this case, appropriate). 

May 13, 18 11:22 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Serious response here.

It's not a style, but an outcome--an outcome of additions and renovations done over the decades by different owners with different tastes.

This is nothing new: lots of old houses have been added to and modified by successive generations of owners, with  different budgets and goals.  What is different in this case is that the most recent owner (or two) really wanted to do something bold.  

May 13, 18 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Even before the second floor addition(s) came along, you can see that someone had already modified the facade of the original 1-story house. It was probably built in the '20s, then "modernized" in the '50s or so, then added to on top--probably in the '80s when post-modern mishmash was in favor.

I love that neighborhood.

May 13, 18 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
jayawilliams

Thank you!! No, I'm not associated with the house at all. I just passed it and felt like it was the most copy-and-paste featured house I'd ever seen

May 13, 18 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

"Copy-and-paste" is a great term, describing both process and aesthetic.

May 13, 18 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Why is it that every time an architect does something that is not within a "conventional style" people MUST assume he has chosen to emulate a certain type of "style"? 

May 13, 18 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

It looks like it an architect with some ambition designed it and started the permit process, economy went south, or a divorce of some kind, project put on shelf for a few years, then property was sold to a commercial real estate investor who wanted minimal expense maximum return, they called the original architect, s/he wanted more money for changes, contractor said I can do it without the extra money thinking he was going to pad the final tally anyway, investor said perfect, contractor came back with changes in no time but by then it was too late for abortion and this creature was born. I am an optimist..

May 13, 18 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

WTF

May 14, 18 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: