Archinect
anchor

mosquitoes vs modernism

looking for examples of rural residential projects (built) that achieve the open -wall effect, but which actually have screens or are able to otherwise deal with critters/ bugs. ( for a warm weather rural site which has mosquitoes, moths, locusts etc 50% of the year)

any suggestion, please !

May 8, 18 5:24 pm
Non Sequitur
Bed nets and lower life expectancies seems to do the trick. Other than that, I’d look into double skin setups where the important parts of the living quarters are sequestered and others are left open.
May 8, 18 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

phantom screens http://www.phantomscreens.com/...

May 8, 18 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Get rid of as many 'Pro-Mosquito' factors that you can.  Mosquitos, rats, roaches, iguanas, baboons & space aliens don't give a Faak about the 'Style'.  You've gotta address as much of your environment (& I ain't talkin' about that 'green' sanctimonious b-s that every Tom-Dick & Mysteryman preach to feel justified) as possible.

Get rid of standing water, reduce thick decomposing leaf areas, etc.  eliminate stuff like ivy, plant as much 'anti-bug' stuff as you can (ie - Citronella, Lemongrass, Mint, other plants that yer lazy axx should be Googlin').  ROOFS:  Make it easy to keep yer damn roof clear of leaves & other crap - bugs & kritters (like 'Coons...Racoons, ya racist MoFos!) love living under thickets of leaves (WTF do ya think roaches love for dinner?  ya Urban, Nature-hater!).  And...why do ya think Racoons love to go tearing up roofs to get to those bugs under the leaves...DUHHH!!!

Gawd-Damn...you guys (& Shitty Guy-Haters) just never Faakin' THINK.

So, Faakin' THINK, y FOOO's!  anyway, I hope this helps.

May 8, 18 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

And, fer GAWD's sake - Wash yer Dishes, don't leave sticky sugary krap out for the ants, THE ANTS!, and Take out the Trash....and stop smokin' so much POT!  Basically, tell your 'IT architect' (hence the lil 'a') hipster-doofus Clients to not be Nasty Dirtbags that never learned how to clean up after themselves.  This Shite ain't Brain-Surgery.

May 8, 18 11:00 pm  · 
 · 

Backyard patios in Florida...

May 8, 18 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Maybe look into mid-century tropical modernism of Brazil or the work of Studio Mumbai.

May 9, 18 2:29 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I know Brazil very well. Their solution is to not address this issue...instead, have a caiparinha & don't worry about all the bugs!

May 9, 18 9:03 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Kind of makes sense in the tropics

May 9, 18 11:21 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

It does...but the science (at least in my lab) is still out re: cachaca preventing dengue or zika.

May 9, 18 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

DEET everywhere

May 10, 18 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
c

miller & randomised thanks

May 15, 18 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: