Archinect
anchor

Starter architecture jobs?

jameshainstock

I was wondering what positions are available for starter jobs in an architecture firm? Basically, what keywords should I search for for openings? My experience is kind of thin (some architectural 2D CAD, manual drafting. I know I need more meat on the bone) 

So what should I search for? How receptive would an architecture firm (large or small) be to asking them for some type of fly-on-the-wall position, unpaid even. Such as firing out emails with my portfolio asking for a chance. I really want to learn the ropes and start to be able to put some architecture experience on my resume, while I chip away at school. 

Any recommendations on skills I should learn to make myself hit some very base qualifications? I don’t have a degree 

May 4, 18 3:53 am
randomised

If you can't figure out what a starter job in an architecture firm is, I'm afraid you don't even qualify ;-)

May 4, 18 8:21 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

What are you in school for? Don't take unpaid jobs unless you are not doing anything, just shadowing. Best place to look for jobs is through making connections with people.

May 4, 18 9:12 am  · 
 · 
jameshainstock

I’m working my way through architectural technology/construction management with plans for an M. Arch.

May 4, 18 9:52 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

While in school, it may be best to look for a summer internship.  It may be too late this year, but next year, definitely be on the look out anyway.  I don't know how others feel about this, but depending on the size of your city, you may be able to call some local firms near you and ask if they are looking or willing to take on a summer intern.  My firm doesn't typically advertise for a summer intern, but we have had a few people call out of interest and get interviews simply because they asked.

Check out the job board on here and look for jobs with 'intern' or 'draftsman' in the title.  That may be your best bet at this point.  It is good to note, if you are unfamiliar, that the term 'intern' may also mean someone who is full-time, unlicensed, but has graduated school.  You'll really have to sift through the positions to see if the employer is looking for a full-time person or a younger student intern.

To echo what tintt said, do NOT take an unpaid position unless you are shadowing only.  Do NOT do work for free.

May 4, 18 9:27 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Working in construction is a good idea too and something you need to do while younger, so do it and get it out of the way. It will help you see more of the big picture which can be tough to get in an architect's office, especially if it's your job to be the lowest on the totem pole, fly on the wall as you say. 

May 4, 18 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

This. I always enjoyed doing Habitat for Humanity on the weekends. Shitty designs but I learned a bunch of stuff.

May 6, 18 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

my starter job was getting coffee for the office. Folding plans in oragami style to please city officials. Picking up my bosses kids at little league ... oh and his clothes at the dry cleaners. I remember thinking what shit... now I look at my current situation and beg to leave the office. I’m literally chained to my desk for 8 hours in a place with no windows and a boss that times how long Of a shit I am taking on the toilet. Fucking depresssing...

May 6, 18 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Your response(s) remind me of Yeezy's comments about slavery being a choice, and ironically you'd apparently like to work for him. Something doesn't compute here.

May 7, 18 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I have mouths to feed bro

May 7, 18 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Don't we all? If not now then when? Now is the perfect time to make a change before you throw yourself off the building (once you found a window). The economy is great, you have the skills I guess and the experience, you'll be a happier architect, father and a husband, trust me...

May 7, 18 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Sam Apoc

Just show up at a couple local architecture firms you're interested in, resume in hand (and portfolio if you have one), and be polite / charming.  Tell them you're looking for summer internship opportunities and are willing / eager to learn.  A lot of architecture firms have plenty of bitch work to keep you busy, and paying you to do it is cheaper than one of their full-time staff.

If that all fails, ask about an unpaid "shadow program" for a week, so you can learn more about the inner workings of an office environment, sit in on meetings, etc.  Don't frame it as working for free, because you shouldn't be willing to work for free.  Also, don't do it for more than a week.  You could do this at multiple offices if you really wanted do.  Not as good as a paying job, however, it will at least give you a blurb to put on your resume while you work towards landing your first "real" gig, and it will give you more insight into which offices would be good to work for.

Just blasting out an email is not likely to land you any results though.

May 7, 18 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
starling
Let’s say it a little louder for the people in the back:

DO. NOT. WORK. FOR. FREE... EVER

You are looking for an internship, my friend. Research some companies whose work you admire and send them your resume and cover letter to their HR department. Do not just show up to their office, that will get you no where (at least at a mid to corporate size firm). It’s true that a random email has a lower chance of landing you a reply, so it always helps to meet people at career fairs so they can put a face to the name. Better yet, ask your professors to recommend you.

Basic entry level skills include autoCAD, Rhino, Adobe Suite, sometimes revit and sketch up. Brush up on those.

LOSTarchitect, bless your heart.
May 10, 18 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoast

I'm an architecture student who got two summer internships. The first I was super unqualified and literally just emailed a bunch firms in the area asking for a job. The second was through my college's career fair. If you're in architectural technology its probably best to know CAD or revit to some degree since thats what you would be working on in the firm. (I believe anyways). I didn't know either when I started but I basically found a smaller firm in a small city and told them that I knew nothing and wanted to learn. Not gonna lie, it was super boring and i just edited drawings all summer but i learned the basics of the software and it put me two steps ahead of the rest of my classmates. 

definitely don't work for free, if your intentions are to do the m.arch then you have to get paid work to even qualify the hours to even sit for the exams. Its a lot of working time so even just a little can help. You could also work in construction or for a contractor. These also qualify as hours too but you can read more about that on the AXP website. 

I know tons of friends who never got replies from firms  in big cities. My own strategy, if you are looking for experience find firms in smaller areas that don't have architecture schools or architectural technology schools. It limits the pool of people trying to work there an increases your odds of hearing back!

Jun 12, 18 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: