Archinect
anchor

Summer Internship Portfolio Critique

Hi,

I have just finished my 3rd year in Istanbul Technical University, currently on an undergraduate double major program of architecture and interior architecture, and I'm applying for summer internships. Although any other international student friendly company you could suggest would be great, I'm particularly interested in Gensler's summer internship at their LA/Philadelphia offices.

I also studied architecture in Auburn University for a semester too, so I know that US schools are mostly focusing on the solid part of architecture (like calculating every structural detail etc.) but the education we have in ITU is much more conceptual when compared.

So I was wondering if my portfolio and works, in general, could have any chance, especially when applying to the U.S. based companies. I'm open to any thoughts and critiques and desperately looking for some guidance.

Here's my portfolio: https://issuu.com/tahaerdemozt...

Thanks!

Taha

May 2, 18 3:51 pm
Flatfish

Your photo of yourself is too casual for the offices in which you're interested - it's not a good first impression.  I know photos on resumes are a common thing in other countries, but it's less expected in the US.  If you're going to keep a photo of yourself in there, at least put on a shirt with a collar - preferably a jacket and tie - and comb your hair. 

That format you're using for noting your software skills is very, very overused  - but if you have to do that then definitely omit all the applications where you can only give yourself 2 out of 5 stars, and consider also deleting the 3-star ones. It's a given that any architecture student these days has basic familiarity with oodles of software - you should just highlight the ones at which you're great, rather than call attention to ones where you're lacking.

On the grey table of contents page with the square icons, will they automatically take one to that project when clicked on?  They should.

Overall the work isn't bad, but there's too much sameness.  I would suggest looking at each project individually, deciding what your best images are for it and which others directly support the project focus/intent, and deleting everything else in the spread.  Try to create some variety of scale and image types between projects. A portfolio isn't like submitting work for a studio critique - you don't need to show that you did every item on a professor's list - you just want enough to explain the project and show what you can do. 

May 2, 18 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I can't stand self reported software skill graphs.  Everyone coming out of school is a 9 out 10 in BIM and CAD and Adobe CS... no, you are not. No one is.  Don't build up expectations and let the work speak for itself.

May 2, 18 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
starling
Instead of listing (and rating) your software skills, it’s helpful to include on each project page the software you used to develop the images. This helps firms know if you will be adaptable to what they are using in their studios.

Your bio: I think your profile picture is fine, but like 5839 says, probably not necessary. You say you are “passionate and driven”, so is every other student looking for a job. Why not use your bio for anecdotal context for what inspired you to become an architect? What growing up in Turkey was like for you and how that shaped you? No need to write an autobiography, but some personal flair would be nice. Just a suggestion.

Don’t hyphenate your text. Sorry, pet peeve of mine.
May 10, 18 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

"it’s helpful to include on each project page the software you used to develop the images."

That could be very insightful indeed, good point.

May 11, 18 4:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: