Archinect
anchor

Learn skills of being architect without becoming one?

jul222

Hi Archinect, what are the ways, if there are any, with a limited budget, to learn as much as possible about architecture, become almost as skilled as an architect, without going to school for architecture? Possibly at some point become skilled enough to intern at an architectural firm? Is there any path, say, going from on-line architecture courses and culminating in studio practice at an accredited school for the final leg? I found some low-residency programs (2 or 3 I forget) but they all require a B.S. in Architecture as prerequisite. I'm coming from a different field which I do like and am working hard on, so I'm not looking to pause everything else and start a 5-year B.Arch although that is the most legitimate way; it's more as a secondary skill I would really like to have. I apologize if this sounds disrespectful to Architecture, I definitely don't mean it that way!

Apr 22, 18 10:55 am
thatsthat

I'm confused.  If you like your current career, and you're working hard to progress in that career, why are you looking to work as an intern at an architecture firm?  Most interns and entry-level staff don't really know much, but have the intentions of eventually becoming licensed.  It's a lot to put up with if you don't intend to pursue architecture as a career.

Apr 22, 18 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
jul222

I don't necessarily want to be the intern, but more as a measure of having a certain level of knowledge. Correct me, but I was also assuming that those entry position are opportunities to learn (so paid to learn! However little -- better than paying to learn at the school).

Apr 22, 18 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You're misinformed Jul. Intern/entry positions are the bottom rung once one graduates school. You need a certain baseline of knowledge in building science and professional practice (ie. school) in order to be marginally profitable for your employer. Unpaid gigs are as idiotic as those who take them.

Apr 22, 18 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
jul222

Thank you

Apr 22, 18 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Architecture is not a skill.

Apr 22, 18 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Yes I'm confused about what you're really looking for, here?

There are three parts that make up an architectural education:

1) Learning how to THINK (ie, how to actually design: how to think in 3d / spatially, how to conceptualize and organize spaces, how to serve the needs of a building's users -- including the need for beautiful surroundings -- and the broader community in which the building will become a part)

2) Learning how to BUILD (ie: learning all about the nuts and bolts of what makes up a building: how to hold it up so it doesn't fall down, how to keep the elements out of it, how to heat it and cool it, how finish it for human use)

3) Learning how to COMMUNICATE (ie: how to draw and represent all the above in a way that clients can understand it, and ditto for those building it -- two very different recipients of your communications)

In which of the above are you wanting to become educated? #2 is the easiest for self-driven study.  #1 is the hardest for self-driven study, and in fact, the hardest, period.  #1 is really the reason most folks go to school, because #2 and #3 can be learned in the working life fairly easily -- but #1 can't.

Apr 22, 18 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
jul222

Hi mantaray, #2, and less so but also #1. You say #2 is easiest for self study, any pointers for where to start and how to measure progress?

Apr 22, 18 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jul, regarding no2, go work a few months swinging a hammer on a construction site.

Apr 22, 18 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
jul222

Ah. Good to know...

Apr 22, 18 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

If you don’t want to studying architecture, why don’t you just buy a few books and save yourself the cost of tuition? Get the International Building Code book and the IBC illustrated handbook. Treat it like a bible. Maybe the ADA standards book too. Sounds like you just want to skip design and just dive right in. 

Apr 24, 18 12:23 am  · 
 · 
whistler

In Canada we have a program which is outside the normal school route that has been around for many, many years.  It's based on the historic master builder route where you work under a more senior mentor. ( think FLW back in the day with many disciples under his wing learning the ropes) not sure how many active participants there are but probably a few,  I used to hear about a few graduates every year. You are a bit handcuffed in the process but realistically  I think if you worked with a decent firm you could gain a good level of skill and experience without the debt.

https://www.raic-syllabus.ca/h...

Apr 24, 18 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I’m actually supposed to be one of those raic mentors even though I’ve been, and still am, exceptionally critical of the process and work that come out of the syllabus. With that said, I don’t know of any other similar programme outside of Canada. The Op has not clarified where they live.

Apr 24, 18 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Very interesting, I always thought that by missing school there would always be a knock against the programme and that the student would have missed a key part of their "education as an architect".... social aspect of school, the struggle that is school, formal educational aspects.

Apr 24, 18 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Very interesting, I always thought that by missing school there would always be a knock against the programme and that the student would have missed a key part of their "education as an architect".... social aspect of school, the struggle that is school, formal educational aspects.

Apr 24, 18 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I also think about what i didn't learn at school that I should have... i.e. how a set of building plans goes together and detailing.... that only comes from many years of experience.

Apr 24, 18 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: