Archinect
anchor

Need to change from architecture to engineering or STEM

eronotfound

I am currently an architecture bachelors student. Unlike most of my fellow classmates who came in with burning passion, I came in because I was just mildly interested in the subject and wanted to get a degree from the top university of my country. Honestly, it was more for the university name than it was for architecture itself. So you understand, I don't have much motivation for the subject.

Architecture isn't at all what I was lead to believe. I am more of a logical analytical person- Boolean datas are what I look for in any problem. Say a maths problem will always have one or a range of right answers regardless of how you do the math. In architecture, there is no surety of that. There is simply no specific correct way to do anything! It bothers me a lot because I don't get the point of arbitrary things. Beside that, the stress is killing me. There's barely any time for myself. I love reading novels and writing short stories but see, the ridiculous time consuming projects won't leave me with time for that! More importantly, I wasn't even that enthusiastic about architecture in the first place so just imagine how depressed I am right now. In fact I'm very depressed. Forget allocating time for my hobbies, I don't even have time to sleep or time to eat- it's breaking me. The depression, the abrupt change in routine and diet- I look pathetic now, like a walking skeleton.

I want to switch to an engineering or any STEM field subject now. I'm two years in my architecture bachelors degree. Which engineering or STEM field is going to be a good transition from architecture? Also since I've already spent two years in this degree, I don't want this time to go to waste. Is there any STEM or engineering subject that I can transfer some of my architecture credit to? In the two years of my study we did courses on both mechanical, civil and electronic engineering. Please help.

Apr 4, 18 1:56 pm
ArchitectureChick

First of all, don't panic, many undergrads switch their majors. Some even complete their majors before deciding they want to do something different.  Two years into an undergrad is nothing, you are completely fine.

Second of all, don't choose something just because you can transfer the most things to it. Choose something that you actually enjoy doing and could see yourself building a career in. You're going to have to do some career research.

You mentioned that you go to a top university.. they should have a good counseling department that can better help you than us anonymous internet people. Don't be afraid to see them. Good luck!

Apr 6, 18 3:29 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

no need to panic.. just make the switch.  You'll earn in a year what would take 5 years or so to earn in this profession.

When in doubt, look at this. 

Apr 6, 18 9:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: