Archinect
anchor

Occupancy Load in Museums

lavanya30

Hi.

I would love to get some help in determining the size of galleries in a museum that could support, say 650 visitors in a day.

Apr 3, 18 12:16 pm
Non Sequitur

What sort of areas does your code specify for assembly spaces?

Apr 3, 18 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
You could always hire an architect. They are paid to know about these sorts of things. Said architect would likely ‘love’ to be paid for said knowledge.
Apr 3, 18 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

This is just another lazy student looking for us to do their homework.

Apr 3, 18 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

The building code in your city will have a series of complex requirements. The codes for art spaces and especially pop up galleries are much more strict since the Ghost Ship fire. The city codes are usually online but they can be complex with a lot of exemptions and special circumstances.  The thing to be careful is if you are changing the type of use, for example if you are taking a warehouse or a store and turning it into a gallery with occasional performances, the warehouse and store space might not be adequate in terms of the number and width of exits for a performance space where there will likely be many more people than the buildings was intended to accommodate.

Call up a local architect, the fee is not so much for an initial code or  feasibility consultation and can possibly keep you out of a lot of trouble and even jail time if god forbid something should go wrong.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Apr 3, 18 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

1m² would easily fit 650 people, let's say the gallery is open 10 hrs a day, that's 65 people per hour capacity, that's like 55 seconds per person to see the artwork. With 10 seconds to enter and leave, which is very generous, that leaves a whopping 45 seconds at least to stare at the cell phone.

Apr 3, 18 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

that still works at 1m^3. just be clever with the proportions.

Apr 3, 18 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

If I recall correctly the IBC recently made a change to allow a specific occupancy in museum gallery spaces. I used to work in a museum, so I knew it then, but now I can't remember. Look at your code book, and remember that what is allowable and what is a comfortable crowdedness for viewing art may be different.

Apr 3, 18 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

NFPA101 2012 with GA amendments said 30 SF/person last time I checked.  

Also, we've had a wonderful time identifying art galleries as mercantile spaces.  Occupancy counts and SF need to be looked at, but let's not call a 25'x75' 1-story storefront that's been abandoned for 30 years an art gallery assembly space when a third of the space will be taken up for storage/bathrooms/etc.  It's real occupancy will be under 49 people (more likely 1 person most of the time and 20 people if the local student artist is "popular").  If the above is the case, you can leave the 1 storefront exit in the front intact and call it a day.

Apr 3, 18 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Also, that assembly space chart in chapters 12 and 13 of NFPA is pretty strict as regards to when sprinklers are needed. Again, best to stay away from assembly if possible. I realize of course, the OP is talking about 650 people, which requires 3 exits, no? Large space

Apr 3, 18 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: