Archinect
anchor

The design-build architect

Juhu

Wondering whether anyone can provide info & input on the practice of design-build within architecture. I'm 25 y/o and have been entertaining the idea for the past several years of pursuing a MArch. I have experience in arch & design thru several internships the past few years but only sitting behind a computer cranking out rendering after rendering isn't what I'm looking for. I currently have a gig, though, where I get to help build and construct spaces for commercial and residential clients. I love being part of both the design process and the build process. 

I'm familiar with Christopher Alexander and some of his publications (Synthesis of Form, Timeless Way of Building) on the theory and practice of design-build. I'm wondering whether anybody can recommend additional books, articles, blogs, etc. on where to get more info on the nature of design-build within architecture. If I enjoy the build process, should I be focusing more on construction or engineering, or can architecture be the right field? Are there grad programs that have an emphasis on design-build?

Welcome all thoughts and opinions on design-build. Thanks in advance for your respectful comments and suggestions. 

Mar 25, 18 5:40 pm
Wood Guy

Juhu, do you have specific questions? Those are a lot easier to answer than generic surveys. 

I'm interested in the topic--I've worked at design/build firms in the past, in many different roles, and am now in the process of starting my own design/build company. One question I have is, as a designer, how can I convince the fancy architects I'd like to work with that I am not competing against them on the design side. 

As for a generic answer, while design/build may not be right for every project, and is not perfect, in my experience it leads to a much more integrated experience for the client, and higher quality and more efficient construction because details are repeated from project to project. 

Mar 26, 18 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Juhu

Hey Wood Guy, 

My specific questions for right now are based on weighing grad schools, design-build hands-on skills, and additional professional experience. I also mention this in my comment back to Rusty, but I’m trying to analyze if I’d be better served by going to grad school in the near future, working with design-build companies, and then gaining additional skills (carpentry, metalwork, electrical, etc.) to help me. Or if I’d be better served in gaining these skills, working more in design-build capacities, and then going to grad school with a focus on design-build. 

I’m not sure I can give a novel answer on how to convince architects that you’re not trying to compete against them on the design side. From what I’ve seen working with my different companies, though, is that the companies will maintain relationships with and stick with their contractors and subcontractors. Once there’s mutual trust and respect for professional abilities among these relationships, I’ve seen that there’s less of a fear against “competing” over one another. Does this make sense? 

What kind of roles and capacities have you worked in design-build firms? Were there any specific roles or responsibilities that you particularly liked or didn’t like? As you’re in the process of starting your own design-build company, what are you finding to be the most helpful things you’re considering based on your experiences working in design-build? 

And I like what you said in your last comment about how design-build leads to much more integrated experiences. The ability to negate delays, costs, confusion, etc. is one of the aspects that appeals to me most about design-build in architecture. This of course is pretty idealistic and won’t always happen with design-build, but conceptually it makes a strong argument for why the design-build model is most effective. 

Thanks for your input!

Apr 7, 18 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I highly recommend you read CSI Manual of Practice, so that you fully understand legal definition of Design Build. It is not really about same exact person literally designing something and then building it. It's a description of project delivery method. 

If you want to do both of these things at the same time, your best bet is to work for a fabricator that work on fabrications that require delegated design for completion of work. Carpentry and metalwork are skills often required, but an education in design would also help. 

I friend of mine did stage and set design. And that was very hands on, but even in that setup you were primarily in front of computer, or actually mostly building. 

Mar 26, 18 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

It’s a matter of scale. Unfortunately a lot of smaller contractors do “design” themselves...

Mar 26, 18 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I can definitively see it for minor residential work. But what architect really wants to do minor residential work. You wanna knock out at least one load bearing wall. Else you left no mark on the world.

Mar 26, 18 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Juhu

Hey Rusty,

I’ll definitely get into the CSI Manual of Practice. I’ve been looking it up and that definitely seems up my alley for learning about the technical and professional aspects of project process and delivery.

And in regard to your comment about carpentry, metal work, and design education, I’d like your opinion on if you think I should consider this with a top-down or bottom-up approach? The top-down approach being to enter an arch grad program, develop my focus on design-build, and then get the skills in carpentry and metalwork afterward? Or rather the bottom-up approach to get the skills in carpentry and metalwork and then pursue a grad program afterward with these skills in hand to focus on design-build?

Thanks for your input!

Apr 7, 18 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
architeckton

Juhu, my firm focuses on architecture, construction, and development. Our goal is that at some point everyone in the office is the general contractor for one of our projects. Typically we try to do this on residential projects. The architect/designer will do design, documents, permitting, cost estimating, bidding, and then all of the construction for one house. The goal is to provide everyone with a well rounded view on what it takes to go from idea to habitable space. 

Not everyone likes it. Some people do it once and never want to do it again. Others will want to keep on doing it. Ends up being a personal preference.

Did you have any specific questions?

Mar 28, 18 12:07 am  · 
 · 
Juhu

Hey Architeckton, My specific questions for right now are based on weighing grad schools, design-build hands-on skills, and additional professional experience. I also mention this in my comment back to Wood Guy, but I’m trying to analyze if I’d be better served by going to grad school in the near future, working with design-build companies, and then gaining additional skills (carpentry, metalwork, electrical, etc.) to help me. Or if I’d be better served in gaining these skills, working more in design-build capacities, and then going to grad school with a focus on design-build. Based on yourself and the folks you work with in your firm, are the academic and career backgrounds pretty similar or are they varied? Are folks trained and educated mostly in architecture, or does it extend to construction, engineering, real estate, etc?

And to be honest, I think the holistic approach your firm takes with giving everyone in the office the opportunity to see a project through the entire process in its entirety to be pretty progressive and awesome. I haven’t heard of companies doing that. Because you work within the design-build field of architecture, do you think there are any skills or experiences that are absolute must-haves?

Additionally, because your firm does architecture and construction and development, I’m wondering what the communication is like between these departments. Do the heads/managers of these departments only communicate with one another, or does the entirety of the architecture department communicate with the entirety of the construction and development departments? I’m wondering about the fluidity of how the hierarchy and management deals with these different branches in a design-build firm that has architecture, construction, and development departments.

Thanks for your input!

Apr 7, 18 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

If you want to stay on the nuts-and-bolts side, go with construction management or engineering.  The M.Arch. route is really only if you need to be licensed (assuming your bachelors is not accredited), and even then it is a dubious value proposition.  Being a conventional practicing licensed architect basically sucks, and should only be done if you just can't live without designing, never mind that there is very little design even then.

Apr 7, 18 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: