Archinect
anchor

Does anyone know anything about this pen?

Fordy81

I gather that this is an architects pen, but I can find nothing about it on the internet.

My late father was an architect and we found this amongst his tonnes of clutter.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Mar 25, 18 4:38 pm
tuna

If I were to guess, I'd think it were a retractable orifice reamer cleaner. It allows the user to clean out orifices from different sizes of pens without changing tools. 

Mar 25, 18 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

it's an old ruling pen. The reservoir was filled with ink, and the dial was adjusted to widen or narrow the size of the gap between the blades, which adjusted the line weight by regulating the width of the ink bead. Surface tension caused the ink bead to stretch across the tiny gap.

You can still buy these - some calligraphers use them. 

Mar 25, 18 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
Fordy81

Thanks kjdt

Do you know if it has any value?

Mar 25, 18 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Most likely not much.  It's obsolete, but not rare.  Sometimes you can even still find these brand new in old stock in stationery stores. I have a few sets of old ruling pens and accessories that belonged to relatives - anybody who went to engineering school or studied drafting up through the 1950s or so had them.  Some old pen nibs have gold in them - but otherwise old drafting tools aren't generally valuable -at least not yet. 

Mar 25, 18 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: