Archinect
anchor

Should I study Architecture or Industrial Design?

zeynepnazyelken

To be honest i am interested in both fields but there are some things that are not so clear for both fields.

I got accepted to Technical University Eindhoven in the netherlands and probably i will get accepted to ID in the same school as well but many architects (including my dad) say that i architecture is hard and they just want me to choose something else for my sake lol . 

But i also grew up with architecture (really my dad would take me to the field and stuff) and i am not really aiming to be a 100% field architect either but i doesnt really matter for me.

And when i look at ID it kinda worries me that its a smaller faculty (and it makes me think that the atmosphere isn't that fun bc i need some life for survive there for 3 years) and it kinda scares me when i look at the things that students are doing and then I'm thinking like, "omg how am i gonna think of new things! and do all of those by myself" (and i am actually a creative person.) 

I am also considering the Master's degree part, many people say that its always easier and better to study architecture first and then study ID. What are you thoughts and experiences? 

Mar 25, 18 2:46 pm
Non Sequitur

Architecture over ID by a metric tonne. I agree that ID as a graduate programme is likely the best option.  Give you time to figure out what you want to do while learning in a familiar domain.

Mar 25, 18 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I did my first degree in ID, then a Master's in architecture. If you can handle one, you can handle either. It's really about what you see yourself doing for the next 40 years.

Mar 25, 18 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

That would be something I'd try to figure out before applying ;) 

Have you also considered the Design Academy in Eindhoven? They have interesting crossovers between spatial- and object-oriented thinking, maybe there you don't have to choose between the two directions but can merge them into your own path.

Mar 26, 18 6:33 am  · 
 · 
splinesbetweentheplace

Architecture

Mar 26, 18 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia
You can design all kinds of things with skills you’ve learned in architecture.
Mar 26, 18 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

ID without question. Analytical design as a process, invention, work with all materials and technology, focused on human factors. 

Architects tend to think very highly of themselves, often without reason. They're pretty much the hairdressers of the design world.

Mar 26, 18 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Studio Samson!

Mar 27, 18 3:15 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

But Miles, at least in architecture the fall back is disgruntled draftsman... and we need those, at least I do. We don’t need more disgruntled ID grads furiously attempting to redesign the toothbrush. 8-)

Mar 27, 18 7:23 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Exterior decorators

Mar 27, 18 7:43 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

'Shear Today, Gone Tomorrow'

Mar 27, 18 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I know an ID doing architectural design. An architect does their drafting. 

Mar 27, 18 7:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: