Archinect
anchor

Finalizing my portfolio for graduation/employment

"""1991"

Hi everyone, 

I'm graduating soon and am in the process of finalizing my PORTFOLIO to look for employment. I would appreciate any helpful insight/criticism of my work. There are a couple of spreads missing (three total), but for the most part this is want I intend to use for my job search. 

Thanks  

Mar 22, 18 12:21 pm
WASDxInfinity

Looks good overall, however -
Be careful with the rhythm of your full spread renders - you have a lot of them. It was hard to tell if renders on 18-19 and 22-23 belonged to the same project, unless they're relevant to the missing spreads.

Mar 22, 18 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
"""1991"

Thank you. I see what you mean, I'll most likely remove pg 22-23 in favor of more d rawings

Mar 22, 18 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I actually don't like most of the portfolios I see people post on here, but I really like this one!  Overall, it's clean, well-organized, the renderings aren't too plastic, and the drawings are clear.  The renderings do have a little too much sun flare on them for my taste, but that's just me.  

Three nitpicky things I noticed: in your last project, it's not super clear what your role was in producing those drawings.  Maybe that's listed somewhere and I just missed it?  Under where you list the names for the project team, I'd add a sentence or two about your responsibilities, unless that's on your resume.  The other thing is be careful not to use passive tense.  I think you say something like "my experience with architecture led me to think about..." but instead I'd make it more about you choosing your actions. For instance "While experiencing different architectural environments, I began thinking about..."  The last thing is in the description for the first project, you write that the park "marks a turning point for urban renewal..."  I'd be careful using that term as it has historical connotations.  If you really mean that this site was a part of the urban renewal movement, keep it.  If not, I'd rephrase.

Mar 22, 18 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
hellion

^ THIS.

Mar 22, 18 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
"""1991"

Thank you, this is exactly the kind of input I am looking for. My responsibilities for the last project are listed in my resume (I might add some information into my portfolio, like you mentioned). I meant the site has been part of urban renewal in Dallas, but I see why the phrasing can be misleading.

Mar 22, 18 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I like the strong magenta as support colour, but you should use it more consistently in my opinion; some diagrams and silhouettes use it, others suddenly use dark or light orange or red next to magenta, which annoys me a tiny bit. But that's all I can say from viewing on a mobile right now.

Mar 22, 18 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
"""1991"

Older drawings have the orange color (green in one case), newer drawings for the most part have magenta. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll be sure to make the drawings more consistent.

Mar 22, 18 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I like the new magenta subtly running through your revised portfolio.

Mar 23, 18 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
ZoeNaq
Has the link been removed? Can’t view it!
Mar 23, 18 2:22 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Yep, a kind of wham bam thank you ma'am situation.

Mar 23, 18 6:56 am  · 
 · 
"""1991"

Currently making some changes (as suggested). Will be back up soon

Mar 23, 18 8:19 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Nice to see it back up, what kind of employment are you looking for?

Mar 23, 18 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
"""1991"

I’m personally interested in research based design, but I realize that’s a very niche sector and is more prominent in academia. Currently, I’m looking at a broad range of firms.

Mar 23, 18 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
"""1991"

Portfolio link should be working again. Thanks for your help everyone

Mar 23, 18 8:51 am  · 
 · 
ZoeNaq
May I know what softwares you used to make the portfolio, indesign or photoshop or both? I love how your portfolio is not an overload of information yet it gives the gist of the project.
Mar 23, 18 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
"""1991"

Everything is being organized using InDesign

Mar 23, 18 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

For a final graduation portfolio its captures a good selection of your education. However, for an employment portfolio, it does not stands out from what thousands of applicants have done. If you want to work in a firm, then you’d have to demonstrate on paper that you understand or at least attempt your knowledge of the construction process and I didn’t see much of that except for the last page. A portfolio can tell an employer what the applicant is passionate about. I would re-structure the employment portfolio different from the school’s portfolio just so that your odd’s for a call back are in your favor.   

Mar 23, 18 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
"""1991"

Thanks, I was hoping to supplement the more technical aspects of my work in an abridged work samples format (its worked for previous internship's). I'll look into including that work in this version of my portfolio.

Mar 25, 18 9:26 am  · 
 · 

Yeah, it is well fed. I've also appreciated the professional feedback with it. Out of my own experience, working as an architect is never really allowing you to design your own projects and developing your own big vision. You will grow into it. When you are starting as an entree, you mostly need to squeeze your skills into a part of a project. It is basically working the other way around and mostly stressing your ability to go into detail.
Why not starting the other way around and putting the detail drawings at the beginning? Skipping through your portfolio and finding those drawings at the end, almost made them forgotten.

Mar 25, 18 10:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: