Archinect
anchor

Set design

Laurence23

Hi everyone,

This year, i'm graduating from my bachelor's degree in architecture in Canada. I am very interested to become an architect in a set production. Is it possible to do a master that would allow me to work afterwards in this field?

Thanks,

Laurence

Mar 15, 18 11:38 am
Non Sequitur
Yes, any graduate level degree from filmstudies, industrial design, architecture, fine arts... but know that you can’t actually be an architect in Canada without an accredited M.arch.
Mar 15, 18 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Laurence23

Yes i knew thank you. Because of that issue, do you know of any internship offered for one week or so in the set design/production field? Just so that i can see what it is.

thanks alot

Mar 17, 18 10:54 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've never heard of that before... but I do know that Carleton U used to (12years ago) have a theatrical design studio workshop option.

Mar 19, 18 8:27 am  · 
 · 
Gizmobreaker1155

I've been in the scenery business, in the US, since 1980. There are no requirements or licensing required to be a Set Designer.  Set Designers are not Architects.  In fact, very few Set Designers have architectural training.

Yes, it can be helpful to be a member of the Union, but it is not required unless you are working in certain venues that are Union Houses.   

I would take a look at http://www.designers.ca/ for some clues. Call them and ask if there is a members list.  Explain what you are looking for and see if they have internships.  Look up designers and ask if you can shadow someone while they are in process.  Generally speaking, you're not going to get a true view of the work in 1 week.

Do you have any theatrical experience, of any kind?  This is a contacts based career and you might want to speak to folks who are working.  Also, look into summer internships at theaters like the Shaw Festival, for experience. 

Mar 19, 18 8:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: