Archinect
anchor

RANK THESE JOBS/FIELDS

fromthewoods

I AM DOING A QUICK SURVEY ABOUT THE MOST WELL-PAID JOBS IN THE DESIGN/BUILDING INDUSTRY..I WOULD LIKE YOU TO RANK THESE IN TERMS OF THE PROFITABLE CAREER PATH:

-CONSTRUCTION/PROJECT MANAGER

-ARCHITECT

-URBANIST

-LANDSCAPE DESIGNER

-SUSTAINABLE URBANISM DESIGNER

-URBAN PLANNER

-Architectural and civil drafter or engineer.

-Environmental designer.

THANK YOU

KIND REGARDS

Mar 15, 18 4:40 am

None of the above.

Developer.

MEP trades.

Mar 15, 18 7:53 am  · 
 · 
splinesbetweentheplace's comment has been hidden
splinesbetweentheplace

INTERESTINGQUESTIONITISNOTOFTENTHATWEGETAQUESTIONTHATISFIRSTANDFORMOSTCONCERNEDWITHTHEPROFITIBILITYOFTHEINDUSTRY.

IDNATURALLYQUESTIONWHYYOUWERESOCONCERNEDWITHTHEPAYOFTHESECAREERPATHSASOPPOSEDTOLEARNINGMOREABOUTEACHUNIQUEDISCIPLINETOSEEWHATYOUWOULDENJOYDOINGMOSTOFALL.

LIFEISSHORTANDFLEETINGANDMOSTSTUDIESHAVESHOWNTHATAFTERREACHINGABOUT80THOUSANDPERYEARWHENMOSTPEOPLEARENOLONGERWORRYINGABOUTFINANCESANYEXTRAMONEYBEGINSTOBECOMEDIMINISHINGRETURNS.

YOUSEEMYFRIENDARCHITECTUREISREALLYACAREERBASEDONPASSION.NOBODYISHERESTRICTLYFORTHEMONEYBECAUSETOBEQUITEFRANKTHISISAVERYPOORLYPAIDPROFESSIONINRELATIONTOTHEAMOUNTOFTIMEANDEFFORTPUTINTOTHEJOB.

THEREAREMANYOTHERPATHSTHATPEOPLEWITHTHEAPTITUDETOSUCCEEDINARCHITECTURECOULDHAVECHOSENTHATAREFARMOREPROFITABLEBUTTHEYCHOSETHISCAREERPATHBECAUSEOFPASSION.

IFYOUARETHINKINGPRIMARILYABOUTPROFITIBILITYTHENYOUARESADLYLOOKINGINTHEWRONGINDUSTRY.IHOPETHISHELPS.

IFYOUREALLYWANTTOFINDOUTTHEAVERAGESALARIESOFALLTHESEPOSITIONSTHENYOUCOULDEASILYGOOGLETHEM.THEREAREMANYWEBSITESAVAILABLETHATCANSHOWYOUAVERAGESFOREACHOFTHESEPOSITIONS.

GOODLUCKMYFRIENDIHOPEYOUEVENTUALLYFIGUREEVERYTHINGOUT

Mar 15, 18 7:55 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Engineers have it pretty easy in my book, then developers due to high wage, then Const. Managers, and finally tradesmen MEP.

I can imagine where a lot of people would put developers first, but being a project manager at some place like JLL would scare me.  Sure, your job is basically to update the gant chart and call people to annoy them about their deadlines... but you have a lot of responsibility riding on your shoulders to get that paycheck, and you have no actual skills/ability to get the work done.  You're relying on a huge team of others, and the tools at your disposal are phone calls and harshly worded emails.

Mar 15, 18 8:18 am  · 
 · 

Don't confuse working for a developer with being a developer.

Mar 15, 18 8:27 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Good point

Mar 15, 18 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

-CONSTRUCTION/PROJECT MANAGER (1)

-ARCHITECT (3)

-URBANIST (8)

-LANDSCAPE DESIGNER (4)

-SUSTAINABLE URBANISM DESIGNER (7)

-URBAN PLANNER (5) 

-Architectural and civil drafter or engineer. (Engineers 2) Drafters Last as this is an entry level position if you are just drawing things and not designing or engineering things you are at the bottom of the ladder.

-Environmental designer. (6)

If you are looking for a career I would suggest that income be one of several factors, I hope you can chose a career that you would enjoy doing.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Mar 15, 18 9:28 am  · 
 · 
lerinat

You cannot rank these professions in terms of a profitable career path objectively. If what you are looking for is money, you can make money only by doing and working on something you like or learning to like what you do. That being said, the most profitable is Project Manager no doubt. But don't forget that money is not the only profit. Time is also a profit, people are also a profit, resources too. So I guess you need to understand what you are really looking for. Cheers.

Mar 15, 18 10:58 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

So I guess you need to understand what you are really looking for.

The OP was pretty clear.  It's money.

Mar 15, 18 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

urbanists and planners are not in the design/build industry, and I would say those are the most profitable in terms of effort vs. income, plus the low liability and getting paid for pie-in-the-sky projects that never get built. Your biggest drive in life is money? Be a realtor or a stock trader.

Mar 15, 18 11:08 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

You gotta include the govt pensions that the urbanists and planners are going to get. Definitely more laid back.

Mar 15, 18 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: