Archinect
anchor

What's this Japanese facade technique called?

e.mson

Hi all,

I'm interested in more info about the Japanese slatted facade technique shown in attached images, but don't know what to search for as I can't find the name for it. Anyone know the name of this specific facade type?

Best,

Erik

Mar 14, 18 11:05 am
JLC-1

shou sugi ban

Mar 14, 18 11:20 am  · 
 · 
e.mson

thanks for your reply, shou sugi ban is the technique of charring the wood. but what I'm looking for is the name of the facade structure with broad overlapping horisontal planks and thinner vertical ribs on the outside.

Mar 14, 18 11:32 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

bare beamed siding is a name that keeps popping, but I can't find any explanation of the technique anywhere.

Mar 14, 18 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I call it beautiful.  (But I know that doesn't help here.)

Mar 14, 18 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I think its just a board and batten technique.

Mar 14, 18 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Try this book: Traditional Japanese Architecture: An Exploration of Elements and Forms

Mar 14, 18 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Finjohn

Japanese charred wood siding

Mar 14, 18 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
e.mson

Thanks for your help, it seems the term I'm looking for is sasarako jitami: "http://www.aisf.or.jp/~jaanus/..."

Mar 15, 18 3:05 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Quite possibly everything is fitted together with wooden pegs or other wood to wood joinery and no nails or other metal at all as is common in traditional Japanese woodwork.

Mar 15, 18 9:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: