Archinect
anchor

What do Revit API developers do?

Gsouth

Hey guys.

I would like to know what other people on this forum, that have the skills to write Revit API plugins do for a living?

Do you work at architecture firms? What positions?

Do you work for yourself? What do you do?

Do you work for software companies?

I have a, what I think is a rare, but at the very least uncommon, overlap of skills. I am a qualified professional Architect who has a background in software development, which I studied before Architecture.

I have since studying architecture mostly been focusing on my architectural career. I have now been working in architecture firms for about 4 years, and never really thought there was much use for my programming skills as none of the firms I have worked for had any use for or interest in them.

But I have recently (due to my current bad working environment) developed a new interest in my programming side and have started exploring the Revit API and started writing some plugins to help me with automating some aspects of my workflow.

I am still only employed as an architect, my company does not really seem interested in my programming skills (which I have discussed with my superiors), and I dont really feel like developing a bunch of plugins for them for free.

So I was wondering what other kinds of opportunities there might be for someone that shares my skill set?

One opportunity I have been thinking of is possibly going solo and starting my own business writing plugins to streamline other architecture firm's workflows, but what other options might there be for me?

Thanks in advanced!

Mar 12, 18 2:25 pm
thatsthat

I personally do not have this skill set, but wish I did.  An old roommate of mine (not an architect) is a programmer and works for a company that makes plugins for Revit.  It is my understanding that they make some kind of plugin that the owner can use to access information from their Revit model without any Revit skills.  I think through the plugin, they can push some buttons, and it spits out a webpage with the floor plan that they can use for space planning.  I believe it also has some basic components (chairs, desks, trash receptacles) that they can move around on the webpage.  From my roommate, I learned that the challenge for their company is often understanding where the need is - owners? architects? - and what Revit isn't doing that they could design a plugin to do.  Also how to organize information out of the model to be of use to an owner with no advanced computer skills.

All that to say, to my knowledge, you may be more successful looking for programming jobs that would value your background as an architect.

Mar 12, 18 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

My programming skills atrophy every year.  I'm constantly running into workflow scenarios where it's clear that much of the work could be automated, but I barely have time to edit our in-house families, much less learn the Revit API.  

So far, any time I've suggested improved/automated workflow, I've been met with "meh/skeptic" responses.... but any time I've gone ahead and implemented said workflow and then shown superiors how much faster we can get something done, they are very happy.  I do believe this has helped my rep and has been partially a cause of some of my raises, but I've yet to actually get paid for any of it.  I am on the "BIM committee" at my current firm (last firm too) for what that's worth?

If I were to go out on my own as you suggest, I'd focus on the peripheral parts of the workflow process, such as converting CAD files into revit file as-builts, or converting .PDFs/scanned drawings into revit files.  Point cloud stuff, creating more easily manipulated light fixture families, creating entire gang restroom families that can flex based on readouts from an occupancy schedule.  And yes, as your example says, creating apps that allow non-revit managers to play around with revit data.  Making actual tools that are helpful to the monkeys is never going to sell... because the monkeys don't hold the purse strings.

Mar 12, 18 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Gsouth

Your comment is slightly disappointing, but valuable. I have also found that there does not seem to be very much interest in improving workflow efficiency, which is very hard for me to come to terms with, surely, the less time your "monkeys" spend doing menial and repetitive tasks, the more time they can spend on either improving the design, or the less time they need to spend on overtime (we actually get paid overtime at my firm), so in effect that should save the company money over time. But anyway, thanks for the comment!

Mar 13, 18 1:10 am  · 
 · 
Aldea

This is a path I have been pondering over. While I have no skills in programming yet, I wonder if taking time out to learn can actually pay off. Maybe even switch careers temporarily.

And yes, if you're doing it while working for a firm you're very likely to be met with skepticism and mehs unless you show results. And much of it depends on how your BIM team handles your input.

Mar 13, 18 3:48 am  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

@Gsouth 

If your background includes some computer science, or if you have used languages like C++, you could become an Autodesk developer member and start writing and publishing apps for Revit, or anything else for that matter. See here a list of Autodesk apps, or more specifically Revit apps.

Also, look up these resources - the Revit API forum or the general Autodesk forum, you will get more answers and a better idea about the path to take.

Mar 13, 18 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Gsouth

Thanks Adrian. I have been looking through the API and Autodesk forums for a little while, which is also what started me thinking that I could actually do some of these things myself. I was also wondering what exactly the Autodesk developer membership means?

Mar 19, 18 11:00 am  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

Practically speaking, I would say better access to otherwise obscure / hard to obtain API resources and knowledge

Mar 19, 18 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
jeffstuy

Well, I guess that I too am exception.  I'm a licensed architect for over thirty years.  I learned programming in college during the 70's using punch cards on an IBM 360.  I've used my programming skills on and off over the years - It actually kept me employed during one of the slow downs.  

Several years ago I wanted a good foot-inch calculator for my android phone but did not like what was available - so I wrote one.  You can see get this here: Foot-Inch Calculator.  

I've continued learning programming and have written one commercial Revit app: Duplicate Sheets.

To answer your question though - as much as I enjoy writing programs - Revit or Android, I plan to stay with Architecture.  I think this is the best personal and financial choice for me.  I just don't think I could make a living from writing programs - but maybe I'm just too far along in my career - maybe...

Jan 30, 19 12:06 am  · 
 · 
Ubi

well, it seems you are not alone in every tiny bit in your story. I faced the same and still facing the same. Developing, and changing the way we are used to work, is not everybody mind set. 

an example of frustration against technology:
"Why do we need to use your addin, do you think you are better than Autodesk?"

"Why do we have to work on Revit? countries have already been built using Autocad"

there is a lot more but those are examples of bad leadership and environment.

as a result I realized that programming in itself is not that good in terms finance. but if it is a super power if used to create programs and not addin, something indeed out of the box and creative, then that is the way to go. but relying on a software (Revit) to write an addin, it is just like you are supporting the big whale to eat the small fish more easier.

Nov 2, 19 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: