Archinect
anchor

Two architectural Rulers Vs 1 Architect and 1 Engineering

Spencern

Hey everyone!

I'm in the process of designing an architectural scale ruler which has a smaller ruler that fits inside. What I'm having trouble with is what to make the smaller ruler. I was originally thinking making it an engineering ruler since most architects also use an engineering ruler but then I thought maybe making it an architects scale with different scales. Not really sure what those "other scales" would be though.

What do you guys think? Any input or ideas would be appreciated and if you help out Id be happy to send you the finished product when its done :)

Mar 6, 18 11:44 pm
Non Sequitur

Scales?  All you need is a basic steel ruler and grade-school math skills.

I rocked one of these along with my mayline all throughout undergrad and grad school thou. 

Mar 7, 18 8:30 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My mini-triangle was my favorite too. Not that fancy though. I will have to pick one of those up.

Mar 7, 18 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Architecture and Engineering.  Don't worry about the metric.  I use my metric scale as the back scratcher.  The other two get use whenever I have hard copies of drawings and need to pull a quick dimension.  It's not worth scanning them and dropping into autocad for a couple seconds of work. 

Mar 7, 18 8:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

the world is metric. The USA is simply behind.

Mar 7, 18 8:42 am  · 
 · 

I'd only buy one if it had all bastard scales and a built-in bottle opener.

Mar 7, 18 9:09 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I have a set of drawings from another firm on my desk who used 1:7.5 scales.... not 1:6 or 1:8 which have imperial equivalent and not 1:5 which is typical. 7.5 was their chosen number...

Mar 7, 18 9:24 am  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

I still use scales when I field measure: laser measurer to get the dimensions, but scale to help me make the measured sketch plan on paper.  I know, some people just take a tablet and put the dimensions into CAD, and some projects hire someone with equipment to scan the whole existing building and make a point cloud.  I'm not that fancy.

That's one reason people still have scales.  But what I'm not understanding from the original post is why you're designing this thing? What's the problem you're trying to solve, by putting a small ruler inside a scale?

Mar 7, 18 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Me too. I use mine quite a bit.

Mar 7, 18 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

I like the idea of architectural scales nested like Babushka dolls, with each one proportionally smaller.

Mar 7, 18 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: