Archinect
anchor

Large Corporate Archi Firms

Chartreuse_Urchin

Just wondering, what are / were the benefits you've ever received working for large corporate archi firms? I was under the impression that archi firms really fall behind other professions in this regard.

My dad worked for an international company (not archi) where they really took care of the employees. Yes, he had to deal with some corporate bullshit (bureaucracy, paper works, socializing) but it also came with amazing benefits (sent him to 3 months training to prep him for the job, company took care of rent and bills for the first few years of his employment, medical and dental that extend to the spouse and kids, scholarships for the kids, generous annual leave, they even had a summer house that we could use). He just had to show up and do his job.

I've found that this is not the case with archi firms. In my experience the benefits / perks are practically non-existent. I've only ever had medical, not even dental.

Anyone ever worked for a company that offers benefits beyond medical?

Mar 5, 18 11:05 am

Where I work now: Profit sharing bonuses, Paid Medical (1990s levels 75%+) Paid vision, paid dental (100%) 2 hours PTO earned each week, Paid hourly to take ARE exams. Paid hourly to attend company functions 4 per year. Coverage for any medical deductible over 3k. matching 401k, AIA membership and other professional organizational dues paid. We get to keep the miles and hotel rewards for work trips.

Come to Chicago we are hiring, but our work is not glamorous at this office.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Mar 5, 18 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Chartreuse_Urchin

What is this profit sharing thing I keep hearing about? Does that extend to every employee in the company (e.g. drafters, admins, etc)? I'm not in the US and where I work, average architectural associates really get screwed. As I said, only medical benefits and that's the norm here. My current company only allows medical reimbursement of $80 per year. Oh well, that's why I'm leaving =D

Mar 5, 18 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
Chartreuse_Urchin

BTW I have long given up 'glamor' at this job. 'Glamorous' projects often have high stakes, too stressful but for all the wrong reasons. And unless you are team leaders or top management, you will not get to experience its glamor. (Had a 'glamorous' project once, average drafters and archi associates were the ones slaving over deadlines and holding down the fort while top management who seldom got involved were the ones attending parties and posh dinners)

Mar 5, 18 11:31 pm  · 
 · 

It is simple if the firm is profitable for the past fiscal year a portion of the profit is paid out in bonuses based on you tenure and wages. So this year it was $200.00 ish but I am new and because our firm recently expanded we did not make as much profit. I have also been at the other end where the firm went bankrupt and I had to settle part of my 3 months owed pay with office furniture and equipment.

Mar 6, 18 8:41 am  · 
 · 
Renzo's Piano

Peter, do you mind if I send you a personal message asking about your office? My fiancee and I are most likely moving to Chicago in August (I was accepted to UIC M.Arch program) and she's graduating in May from Univ. of Texas with an M.Arch. She prefers corporate firms over boutique firms and was working at Page for 6mos before this spring semester. But she'll be looking for a job come summer.

Also, how are UIC grads regarded by firms in Chicago if you don't mind me asking.

Mar 5, 18 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

UIC grads are regarded well, lots of firm leaders, especially on the business or production/project management side are UIC Grads. U of I Urbana Champaign, U of Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and IIT are top schools for Chicago with the Art Institute of Chicago and Southern Illinois gaining ground in influence and number of graduates in firm leadership. I would say most offices in Chicago are in Revit or will be soon so those skills are critical.

Mar 5, 18 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

Go ahead and reply to my Archinect profile if you want.

Mar 5, 18 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Also at a corporate firm in the midwest... 3 weeks vacation, paid overtime, medical, dental, vision, unpaid time off, profit sharing, 401k match, professional registration paid, ARE tests paid, keep all travel rewards/ miles, amicable work environment, paid learning opportunities... we also do pretty good work. Average is good and some projects are great - as good as any architect in the world. Some real stinkers too though.

Mar 5, 18 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Chartreuse_Urchin

That's encouraging! What about a raise? Does your firm have a clear guideline about that?

Mar 5, 18 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Really depends on the firm. Typically corporate places have economies of scale and can afford to negotiate things like healthcare and 401k fees to get a better deal. That said the distributions of the ‘goodies’ varies widely in terms of what portion the execs dole out to the rank and file.

Most of the stuff listed above is common at medium to large firms and if it isn’t offered people won’t even want to work there. The variation is in what percentage the company matches / pays out for the various packages. This is all in the US. I don’t know about abroad. Glassdoor is useful for getting an estimate on how good or bad these percentiles are though it’s usually difficult to pin down exact numbers until you’re given an offer letter.

The employee share is effectively a 401k for all intensive purposes (while you’re at the company). If the company goes under your money is gone - same as any other stocks. So keep that in mind. You have a bit more control over asset allocation with most 401ks. And unlike an employee share (which is NOT the same as employee discounted stock options) you cannot take the shares with you as a rollover into another ira/401k etc and you cannot sell them on the market. You’re only option after leaving is to sit on them indefinitely or negotiate a buyout from the former employer. The allocation of these ‘shares’ is again top heavy with admin, drafters etc getting fractions of percentages as their ‘share’ so don’t believe the company cares about its employees just because it has said plan available.
Mar 6, 18 11:59 am  · 
 · 

Not every big corporate companies are greedy monsters. Yes, they have to work for profit, not for charity, and at the same time they do give some good benefits and care. And some large corporate companies do work on good projects.

Sure they come with all  that bureaucratic BS, software preference, mandatory training etc, but that not a big deal as along as it does not become a daily business. (For example, the place I work at is eternally based on Microstation. All projects are done in this ugly, archaic, useless, outdated and unfriendly software... but you get used to it and than it works just fine. All the annoying stuff stays behind)

It's more about whether or not ones wants to be working at a 200+ company.  

Mar 6, 18 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: