Archinect
anchor

difference between interior arch and design

Alex al

Hello of everyone!

Im going to enter US university on master s program. I m a foreigner and have graduated my home university. Have a bachelor degree in interior design.

Can you explain,please:

1. What is the main difference between interior architecture and design? What do the professionals after graduation of these majors?
  2. Which profession is more in demand to get a job? Where do the people work after finishing interior arch? design?
  3. Does it possible to find a good job for the foreigner?
  4. Is it a necessary to get a license in interior arch or design? Is it hard? If the professional hasn t  a license what opportunities he ll have on a job?
  5. Which universities, in your experience, get a good practical knowledge in anterior arch? design master s degree?
  6. Does the accreditation of the university is important for the getting a job?

Mar 1, 18 4:55 pm
senjohnblutarsky

License requirements should be your main interest.  You need to have some idea of where you want to practice, and what you want to practice.  My state licenses both interior designers and architects (#4).  Other states don't license interior designers.  I personally think the interior architect label is garbage.  Either you're an architect or an interior designer.  You might be an Architect who focuses on interiors (pretty much only does renovation).  Or you can be an interior designer.  If you aren't the former, you're an interior designer trying to make yourself sound special. (#1)

Once you've decided where and what you want to practice, you need to find a program that is accredited (#5/#6.) for that practice.

I don't know how interior designers find jobs.  I sure as hell don't use them. (#2/#3) 

Mar 1, 18 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Alex al

Thank you very much for helping.You gave me a lot information to think.Thank you.

Mar 4, 18 9:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Interior arch is just a weak marketing term int des schools created to make their students feel better.
Mar 1, 18 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
Alex al

Thank you very much for the information.

Mar 4, 18 9:22 am  · 
 · 
quynhletruc

I have posted this on another forum and I'll just post here again.

A bit about my background first if you don't mind. I have studied Graphic Design in Italy. And now I am in Los Angeles  working toward my Master in Interior Architecture. I have taken some classes in Santa Monica College and now in UCLA Extension + Cal Poly Pomona.

So I have certain ideas about this. And this is based on my talks with all my employers or my professors who currently working as interior designers or architects. And mind you, what I say mind only apply to USA or California to be specific.

Yes, interior design and interior architecture are one. They use the term 'interior architecture', as someone has said, is so as to detect themselves from being considered "decorator". Because interior designer (ID) do more for the interior space than decorating it (and I'm talking about all the involvements in moving nonload-bearing walls, replacing cabinets, relocating plumbing fixtures, and other mechanical elements, building code, ff&e, interior structure, etc.). But can we call ourselves interior architect? No. Because simply, we are not. 

ID, at least here in California, once work for a client/project, still needs approval from architect or engineer for construction documents before sending out for bidding. That is unless you are a certified ID, one who pass the NCIDQ exam, then you can stamp your own document but also means that you take the liability to yourself. (there are always pros and cons)

Then why don't we just all go for an architecture degree? If you want, of course. Sure, I'm from a Southeast Asian country, and like a few others, architects tend to take care of everything. But that is changing for sure. Especially in large-scale commercial projects, IDs are undeniable. In terms of residential ones, IDs roles are becoming more and more important. At least here in LA, more and more people remodelling their interior without touching the exterior to better suit their desires. Residential projects, as one of my professor told me, is more intimate as the designer tend to be more involved with the client's domestic issues. So sometimes, an architect might be too rough or too rigid to do this (I might generalise things here)

Again, what I wrote above might not be all true or enough so please feel free to add your point but in a respectful and constructive way. Best.

Mar 10, 18 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

Inferior architecture = inferior design.

May 1, 18 8:56 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yet neither have a lame "I look up" campaign going.

May 1, 18 9:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles, the int des association in my area is in the process of inserting itself under our architect's association in order to gain preferential title status under he architect's act. The funny thing is in doing so they need to define their scope of work and they clearly stated that decoration, fabric, furniture, whatever, is not within the scope of a int des... That's fine, but then their defined scope has one single paragraph (mostly limiting them to retail display design) and 2 pages of exclusions. They cried to have their profession recognized and in doing so, will see their ability to "practice" significantly reduced.

May 1, 18 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Bettywilliams

Interior design is concerned with the INTERIOR space of buildings, as well as the comfort and emotions of the people who live there. Interior design and interior architecture are closely connected, however interior design overlaps with industrial design and can take a more cautious approach to not only spaces, but also the things within those spaces than interior architecture.

Mar 5, 22 2:55 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Why thank you, Betty. For the illuminating opinions.

Mar 5, 22 11:39 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

It's often fodder for turf wars within firms.   A significant subset of people out there think architects don't know how to design interior spaces and shouldn't do it.  I met once with an interior designer principal at a corporate firm who felt that the architects on staff should only work on the exterior walls and roof.  They felt that everything from the inside face of the exterior walls inward should be designed by interior designers.   I also know a lot of (usually older, age 55+) architects who insist using interior designers to select finishes and furniture as they are profoundly uncomfortable with the notion of architects doing it.

Mar 5, 22 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
rain-on-me

Interior architecture sounds niche 

Mar 5, 22 9:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: