Archinect
anchor

Floating Architecture - Best Materials - ASAP ANSWER PLEASE

smith180

Hi I was wondering which material is best for floating a 5 bedroom house in England. Its for a project and I have chosen to design a house which will respond to 6-degee rise in temperature. Obviously sea levels will rise, so I need a solution.

Firstly, is it possible to have house on land which floats when water levels rise, and is it better than building on the water.

And secondly, which materials will allow my house to float best. Preferably low maintenance and long lasting.

I DONT CARE ABOUT BUDGET BTW.

I need as many replies today (Sunday,18/02/2017), as I need to submit my project today.

Many thanks...

Feb 18, 18 11:35 am
Superfluous Squirrel

Definitely Pykrete

Feb 18, 18 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

So I don't know the material but things to try to prevent / mitigate with the material choices.

1 Salt water corrosion of metals 

2 Build up of barnacles or other invertebrates on the structure

3 Does the material degrade or weaken with repeated impact loading (happens in fiberglass)

Let us know what you figure out

Over and OUT

Peter N

Feb 18, 18 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Air.

Feb 18, 18 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Boats float.

Feb 18, 18 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The French in Louisiana are waaaaay ahead of you. The first floor is designed to be periodically flooded. The main living areas with the expensive furnishings are on the second floor. There are also scores of elements to mitigate the hot and humid climate which you will not need in the U/K. Just Google 'Louisiana plantation architecture'

Needless to say this eliminates the need for rube-Goldberg arrangements for water, sewage, and electrical connections.

Cheers.

Feb 18, 18 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

concrete blocks are perfect for your application. Put foam in the middle of the void and top and bottom with grout and your good to go... couple 1000 of those grouted together and you have a floating platform. 

Feb 18, 18 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Wow, you guys are accommodating!  OP may get to bed on time tonight.

Feb 18, 18 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
My thesis advisor was working in a very similar project in Louisiana about 10 years ago. If only there was a place where lazy students could search for things.
Feb 18, 18 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

NS's point is quietly chilling, and I see it with my students.

A few keystrokes entered into a ubiquitous Google (or other) search field to unearth a mass of information in less than a second is an epoch-defining advance achieved in only a decade or two.  And yet it's already considered too much work by those who've never known anything else.

God help us all.

Feb 18, 18 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

And: "which material is best for floating a 5 bedroom house"

Water? Just a guess. 

Feb 19, 18 9:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: