Archinect
anchor

Not sure if I should major in architecture or engineering

Brookekealy

I'm a junior in high school and I excel at all of my classes. I love art and design, but I also have a passion for critical thinking, math, and I'm always precise. I also love being hands on. I've read that if I like art more, I should take the architect route and if it's math, become an engineer but honestly I think my skills are pretty equal. Also, I'm not sure what type of engineering career I would like to pursue. I'll be researching that more. I'm a female if that makes a difference, but I sure hope it doesn't.

Jan 26, 18 1:37 pm
mszczere
There’s plenty of critical thinking, math, and precision within architecture, but I wouldn’t dwell on the fact that architecture is more art. There are plenty of programs that offer a more technical study of architecture, but unless you have a passion for it and understand all of the down sides in the field of architecture, you can find yourself struggling in school and in the profession later on.
Jan 26, 18 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Brooke, you sound well rounded. Architecture can be a difficult profession; you might want to look into human factors engineering, biomedical engineering, or another field where both creativity and analytical skills are appreciated. You could try to find someone to job shadow, though I don't think that's as useful as others seem to think. Try finding local or online groups of architects or engineers and see if you "click" with the people there. 

If you decide that you really want to pursue a career involving the built environment, we need more women in the field. If you're organized and good with people you should find success in engineering, architecture, planning or construction management. 

My skills in school and the choices given to me were similar to yours. I am happy with the choices I've made (I'm a designer with a construction and engineering background), but wish someone had pushed me to look more into the science and medical field, where there is more money to be made and probably more opportunities for growth. I was recently a judge for an entrepreneurial competition at my alma mater, Tufts University, and was blown away by the quality of the student presentations--we awarded an all-female team of biomedical engineers the top prize. 

Jan 26, 18 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Read:  Architect?  by Roger Lewis.

Jan 26, 18 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

We've had 4-5 highschoolers somehow related to someone in the office shadow people at our firm.  By the end of the week or two, they've decided not to do architecture.  

They all came in with this, hmm, math, art, I like both, I'm competent, type attitude, and have been sold by someone, usually not an architect, that these are good indicators that they should check out the profession.  I don't use anything more than elementary level math, and with a calculator at hand to boot, and rarely do any of my days come close to what I'd call artistic, though there's a lot of creativity, constant learning/research (mostly of different products and their cross-compatibility) and a lot of "modeling" in software programs.

I think shadowing is a good idea, but I'd also suggest downloading revit or at least cad, and sketchup, and try to model every detail of the home you live in, and then draw up a floor plan in revit/cad.  If you're enjoying yourself, that's a good sign you won't leave the profession in the first year at least.

Jan 26, 18 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

Just dont even go to school. Its a waste of time & money, unless you have the money and join a frat. Then yeah go to a good party school (UofA, UofI, Michigan, MSU) rub elbows with the kids with powerful families. 

Jan 26, 18 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
Lots of negative nellies in this thread! Architecture is a great profession, I'm closing in on two decades doing it and I still love it. Just like any profession, it's not for everyone.

When I used to teach undergrad studio, and inevitably had to chat with students trying to decide if architecture was right for them, I never asked "are you good at art or math or insert whatever skill set here." Rather, I have one and only one question: do you love buildings?

If you love buildings -- if the sight or experience of a building has ever entranced you, or made you catch your breath -- if you've ever doodled house plans in the margins of your notebook -- if you've ever wanted to travel just so you could go see a certain building or building type -- then you might enjoy architecture.

Then AFTER you've answered that question, should you be asking yourself "do I have any applicable skills or talent." If you don't love buildings you won't love architecture, full stop.
Jan 26, 18 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

two decades ago was a lot different than today. Schools have completely changed and kids going into programs are worse off than some who never went to school.

Jan 26, 18 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

"If you love buildings -- if the sight or experience of a building has ever entranced you, or made you catch your breath -- if you've ever doodled house plans in the margins of your notebook -- if you've ever wanted to travel just so you could go see a certain building or building type -- then you might enjoy architecture." That is excellent advice.

Jan 26, 18 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
That's absolutely asinine. NAAB requirements have not changed in that time and arch programs are very consistent with what I went through in the 90s. Since I have been teaching much more recently, I can speak to this directly. Not to mention mentoring young professionals who are graduates of the very programs you are deriding and whose university experience has her excellent. Cite your sources, if you're going to wildly impugn literally every university architecture program in one anonymous internet comment.
Jan 26, 18 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

" I also have a passion for critical thinking, math, and I'm always precise. I also love being hands on."

Check out the civil engineering field. Large CE firms fall all over themselves hiring female CE graduates. Good starting pay, good benefits, interesting work, collegial workplaces, good job security. The field is set for unprecedented growth in the next few years with the infrastructure repair and expansion.

Jan 26, 18 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

What you say about getting hired as a female CE is true. My much younger female cousin is just out of school with a CE degree and her company treats her very well. They sent her to Singapore and Germany too.

Jan 27, 18 4:42 am  · 
 · 
mantaray
Not only that, but in many states it's impossible to become an architect without an architectural degree.
Jan 26, 18 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Brooke - maybe it isn't architecture or engineering. Maybe it's one or a combo.

Take some time - especially if you have a few years before diving into a major in undergrad and shadow in architecture firm. Shadow an engineering firm. Shadow bio-med. Shadow finance. Shadow lawyers.

You'd be surprised how many professions you'd be able to thrive in with a strong understanding of 'left-right' brain thinking.

Architecture pays shit and will only continue to pay worse and worse as time goes on. Engineers honestly don't do a whole lot better. Consider as many options as you can, from as many angles as possible. Interview and talk with as many working professionals as who will talk to you before making a huge decision about your career. Further if at all possible, keep your student loans/debt minimal above all else. Take a year off before high school and undergrad if it gives you more time to make an informed decision. Don't feel pressured to commit to a single career at 16 or 17. Absorb as much as possible before laying down money and time to pursue a long term career.

The forum posts here will only help so much. You really need to see these professions in action to know what you're in for.

Best of luck
Jan 26, 18 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Architecture is a waste of time. 

Jan 26, 18 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Somebody recently made a comment about an architect (zaha) realizing she had mayo on her lip and took her finger and wiped it off and on to her associates clothing. Architecture is kinda like that. If you go into it, you will have to give up this idea that you are a worthy being, good at art and science alike, because it is more about power than anything else. All your talents, all your abilities that are so powerful in other realms isn't really going to matter in architecture cause unless you are wiping mayo on someone's jacket, you are the receiver of the mayo. You gotta love buildings, like said above. It is a great thing though if you can make it work. But also, the profession has been suffering a decline in the public's eye since the 60's. Architects decided in the 60's that they wanted to be pompous twits and out of touch, so you're going to be swimming upstream against that. It is also stressful job. I know architects in their 30's with major health problems (strokes even) due to stress. Do not know any engineers like that. I agree with what was said above about bioengineering and microbiology. Good fields that need creative holistic thinkers and nobody would ever wipe mayo on your jacket.

Jan 27, 18 5:13 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Also of note, 50% of my former employers, both arch and eng, have had their lives severely effected (near destroyed) by lawsuits and it wasn't because of incompetence, just got caught up in some bad stuff with some bad clients.

Jan 27, 18 5:56 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Story for you, as a young 25 year old woman, I was sent to a job site to measure and the property manager didn't believe I was an architect and he accused me if trespassing and forbade from ever stepping on the property again. Kinda silly since our firm had been hired by his boss but you know, trespassing. I was also taken off a job because the contractor was using me as a scapegoat behind my back. I wasn't even fully aware but apparently he was telling the owner that everything that went wrong was that young woman's fault but he was in fact in way over his head (res contractor on a commercial job) but you know, ego and money. Otherwise, being a female in architecture can be quite good and contrary to popular thought, I think plenty of women are good at it. 

Jan 27, 18 7:11 am  · 
 · 
hellion

Industrial Design. :)

Jan 27, 18 7:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: