Archinect
anchor

Logistics question por favor

go do it

So we are doing some work on a big box store this thing is probably 30K SQ. FT. and the superintendent is having the concrete floor polished I think they are 2 days in. They are planning on taking the floor up to completion.

Job status (guessing): the HVAC are 33%, electricians still roughing in, insulators maybe 15%, plumbers still roughing in, sprinklers 10%, roof is dried in, no storefront doors/windows but interior is safe from weather. The sheetrockers are starting on Monday.He will place Ram Board in strategic places to protect the newly polished floor from the rockers and other trades scissor lifts.

My question: Is this the proper sequence for the floor polishing? I don't know but the interior is maybe 20% complete and to have all the trades working on a new floor seems premature to me or is this how it is done on these big box stores? On my projects I save the floor finishes to the very end to protect them.

Thanks

Jan 25, 18 11:35 pm
randomised

Maybe they are going for the worn out loft-warehouse aesthetic.

Jan 26, 18 4:07 am  · 
 · 
mantaray
Are they grinding, polishing, and sealing? If so they could probably grind early, which will help get an even grind anyway (since interior partitions won't be in the way), then do a finish pass for polish and sealant at the end. Otherwise, thus sequencing seems like they're asking for trouble.
Jan 26, 18 8:11 am  · 
 · 
go do it

yes grinding, polishing, and sealing

when they leave the floor will be done 

Jan 26, 18 8:16 am  · 
 · 
mantaray
Oh. That seems dumb. I've done polished concrete in retail projects although not in big box. Definitely did it at the end.
Jan 26, 18 8:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: