Archinect
anchor

3rd Year undergrad searching for Summer Internship?

Dkwong197

Hi everyone! I am currently applying for summer internships! I know how competitive this profession is and I am only a 3rd year student. I remember when I spoke to my academic adviser, he mentioned how a portfolio would be a great way to increase your chances of getting the position. But I'm only a 3rd year, should I just make an individual portfolio for my projects I had done from my past years? Any tips and advises would be awesome! 

Jan 24, 18 12:31 pm
Non Sequitur
Yes, that’s what a portfolio is. Collect your best work and show the thinking process that led you from start to finish.

What did you think a portfolio was?
Jan 24, 18 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Yes, you should make a portfolio of your past academic projects, and any other design work you've done.  It won't just increase your chances of getting the job - it's pretty much a prerequisite for applying for any position in an architecture firm, other than receptionist or administrative assistant type roles.  It would be awkward to show up to an interview without one. You also might not get the interview in the first place without one, since a lot of firms request that you email your portfolio as part of your application. Some people make a shorter version, with only a couple projects, to send to firms with their resume, and then bring the longer full portfolio to show at the interview.  In your case you may not have enough projects to have two versions yet.

Jan 24, 18 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Dkwong197

I see! I had scrolled through sample portfolios and the portfolios are simply amazing! They seem to take a lot of time and make, I even saw my peers being exhausted from making them in the middle of the semester! I had always portfolios are meant to be made at senior year but I guess I was wrong.

Jan 24, 18 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I had a portfolio printed by end of 2nd year and started working in a firm part-time during my 3rd year undergrad. It's part of the deal, you will need to get comfortable making these throughout your career, so no excuse not to start now.

Jan 24, 18 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: