Archinect
anchor

Good film career for current architecture major?

dariayoder

I'm a college sophomore in architecture, and I am seriously considering other job opportunities, specifically in the film industry.  The cinema has always interested me, but from other people saying I'll never make it, I put that away. When I was 12 in art class one day, my teacher said if we liked the 2-point perspective drawing and math, we should look into being an architect and from that day forward, I always just said I'm going to be an architect.  Currently, I'm majoring in architecture and minoring in digital production arts.

What I'm wondering is if there's any careers doing anything in the production of a film (something like set design, CGI/Multimedia artist, etc.) that my architecture major (or even my digital production arts minor) would be helpful with, and that there wouldn't be terribly difficult to get a job in- I like competition, but I also don't want to be unemployed.

Jan 18, 18 11:20 pm
accesskb

I know people with architecture degrees who made it into the film industry designing digital sets, architecture etc.

Joseph Kosinski, who directed the film Tron and Oblivion, has a masters in architecture from Colombia University and got into the industry creating animation for the advertising industry.  In the end, it all depends on how creative you are or you can just be a speedy 3d modeler and do what the director wants.

Jan 19, 18 2:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: