Archinect
anchor

Confusion regarding M.Arch

HarshM.
I completed my bachelors in architecture from India, now i am planing to do MArch. But i am really confused which stream i should go for? Two stream i find very interesting are light designing and the other one is urban designing.

Jan 17, 18 3:22 pm
Non Sequitur

Maybe start by not crowd-sourcing important life decisions.

I know, being a responsible adult is hard, but really, you got to start eventually, right?

Choose option C.

Jan 17, 18 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

Could you define "light designing"

As for Urban Design it is as much about design as it is about politics. Urban Design has close relations to landscape architecture and to architecture (the architecture of designing buildings not software).

Despite Non Sequitur's comments I hope you continue the dialog here and on other forums as there are likely many people with the same questions. Many of us are happy to help answer questions if we can.

Did you have schools in mind in the US or Europe?

Best of luck

Peter Normand

Jan 17, 18 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
HarshM.
Architectural lighting design is a field within architecture, interior design and electrical engineering that is concerned with the design of lighting systems, including natural light, electric light, or both, to serve human needs.
Do you know any other architecture forums that could be helpfull for me?
Yes i know colleges for Master in architectural light designing in the USA, Germany, Scotland ,etc. but I dont have any idea which college is good for Urban designing.
Jan 17, 18 10:38 pm  · 
 · 

Thank you for the clarification.

Jan 18, 18 9:38 am  · 
 · 
archinine
Unless you're hoping to up your chances of winning a visa lottery abroad, spending money on a lighting degree isn't necessary to get hired. Plenty of lighting studios out there are more than excited to hire architecture grads.

I'm curious about these two interests - lighting is incredibly narrow and rather limiting vs urban design which is wide open in terms of opportunities and career junctures as well as scope of projects.

I'd recommend spending more time in understanding what draws you to each before diving into more (expensive) schooling. Try working at a lighting firm. You may have a tougher time getting hired for urban design but it's not unheard of for arch grads to do so.

Important to note, urban planning can be and often is a different degree than urban design, the former being more politics/economics/social focused, the latter more design/landscape focused.
Jan 17, 18 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

urban designing stream fabric of city go university phoenix rise from ashes !!

light designing stream space interstellar university houston formz obsolescence ?!

Jan 17, 18 11:48 pm  · 
 · 

University of Illinois Urbana Champaign has a good Urban planning program.

Lighting design is typically found in engineering programs or as an area of focus for electrical engineering programs. There is a lot of demand for lighting engineers for products, site lighting and building lighting analysis. Lighting design has a huge overlap in urban planning and  could be a logical double major as lighting is a relatively inexpensive means to change urban environments and the behavior of people in those environments.

Jan 18, 18 9:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: