Thoughts??

Jan 11, 18 8:01 am
Non Sequitur

I have some.

Thoughts on exceptionally vague posts?

Jan 11, 18 8:44 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Based on your portfolio, you may as well be an engineer; terrible graphics.

Jan 11, 18 9:08 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

some are good, some are bad, always hard to find a decent civil.  

Jan 11, 18 9:22 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

hard to find a good civil and mechanical

Jan 11, 18 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Several of my cousins are engineers of all kinds. They really struggle to see anything outside of a narrow slice, an engineering induced tunnel vision. They do have good job security though and work on some cool projects. 

Jan 11, 18 10:30 am  · 
 · 
hellion

They earn way more than architects.

Jan 11, 18 10:52 am  · 
 · 

Its much warmer today.

Jan 11, 18 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

engineers love to wear beige kakis with collared short-sleeve buttom-up shirts.

Jan 11, 18 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Engineers love to be hugged....just ask one

Jan 11, 18 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

yes, some.

Jan 11, 18 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Pretty neat that they get to drive the trains around. I've always been envious of that.

Jan 11, 18 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
razdaz

if you have any doubt stay away. its dry as fuck. except material science and maybe fluid mechanics. 

Jan 18, 18 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

been working with a guy who primarily does forensics on steel structures... pretty good gig - you don't have to build anything, just figure out why it fell down. Says he's always flying out to cool places and looking at incredible structures. Also $$$$

Jan 18, 18 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

More money and you get to be a professional second guesser. Love it.

Jan 20, 18 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

I've been lucky to work with mostly exceptional engineers.  I respect their opinions and consider their advice, and in return they make my work really easy. Same with contractors.

Jan 20, 18 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Well, civil engineers enjoy better pay, more job security, more collegial workplaces, no AIA, no NCARB, wider range of projects, more overall professionalism actually. Plus the very best engineering schools, like Georgia Tech and Purdue, are state schools so you don't have to destroy yourself financially to attend the Ivy League. In fact, you can take a very welcome pass on the whole elitist Ivy League bullshit meme.

Jan 20, 18 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

But do you get to go to the Beaux Arts ball dressed as your favorite building? Now that's a perk.

Jan 20, 18 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

Thoughts from an Architectural engineer on engineers:

Civil:  Can work on some really large, neat projects but most of it is bridge and highway rehabilitation, sitework, and watershed.

Structural:  The Best (I'm biased).

Mechanical:  The cool and challenging stuff is in industrial / medical projects, don't get trapped doing HVAC design for apartment buildings.

Electrical:  Those guys/gals are geniuses.  I wish I knew more about it.

Architectural:  Really a structural engineer with facade design experience and more appreciation for aesthetic design.

Geotechnical:  I asked my geotech friend what she does all day, she responded: dirt.

Jan 20, 18 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I thought about engineering earlier today, but now I don't, it's lunch time over here.

Jan 22, 18 6:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: