Archinect
anchor

Architecture practice through master of Construction management chances

ahmad4343

Hello , I applied as international student in bowling green state university in Ohio.  As there are many colleges that consider quite expensive for me and my savings of 5 years work is between 40k to 45k $  , I thought I come up with idea of taking master of construction management in bowling green state university in Ohio and practice under licensed architect in that city. Now, I want to know your opinion about bowling green state university as reputation , will that affect my chances of employment in architecture firms in the future as my master will not be in architecture ( knowing that my bachelor degree is in architecture from Egypt) ?  would employer in U.S  be reluctant to hire me if I do not have a bachelor or master degree in architecture from U.S ? 

What is your advises please ? Any help by answering and advising would be appreciated. 

Thank you all in advance. 

Jan 10, 18 12:42 am
randomised

So you already applied and only now you want to know if that was a good choice? Shouldn't you do that the other way around? All those years saving up...should have given you plenty of time to figure out where to best spend that 45k.

Jan 10, 18 2:09 am  · 
ahmad4343

If I am living and working in the United States in those five years with employers , I could only in that case figure out through all those years how employers perspective toward job applicants but since I did not live or work in U.S before , then I want advise. a feedback on that school and that programme in eye of architects or job chances is worthy.  FYI , I applied and get accepted but I need advise to make my final decision. 

Jan 10, 18 2:45 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Sorry, but I don't think you'll find what you need by asking the internet. Maybe contact offices directly you'd like to work at and explain your predicament.

Jan 10, 18 5:14 am  · 
 · 
ahmad4343

My question has another part (which is about university reputation for future employment).

Jan 10, 18 5:37 am  · 
 · 
randomised

What made you choose that university to begin with?

Jan 10, 18 7:11 am  · 
 · 
ahmad4343

because it is affordable 33 credit hours for master of construction management. Tuition fees is 748$ per credit hour for international student and may provide funding for top students but not guaranteed otherwise that is why my question here come.

Jan 10, 18 7:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've never heard of that institution.

Jan 10, 18 8:23 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You're already thinking like a manager, I'm convinced you put it all in a spreadsheet didn't you ;)

thing is, nobody in the real world really cares about the reputation of where you studied Construction Management, I never asked anyone that's for sure :) good luck though, whatever you decide to do.

Jan 10, 18 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
ahmad4343

My question has another part (which is about university reputation for future employment).

Jan 10, 18 5:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've never heard of that institution

Jan 10, 18 8:24 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Bowling Green State University is closest to Toledo, Ohio, which does not offer too many opportunities to work under an architect. If your goal is to work while taking classes, your best bet is to attend a school in or near a major metropolitan area. 

I don't believe anyone here can speak to the strength of the school since you are attending it for construction management and not architecture. 

Jan 10, 18 10:50 am  · 
 · 
ahmad4343

​I am asking about the strength of the school as ranking and I want to know if I have Bachelor degree of five years in architecture outside U.S , would that be enough for me to work with any architecture firms ?

Jan 10, 18 11:08 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

LITS, this is kind of a bullshit statement. There are Architecture firms everywhere. A quick googling showed plenty in Toledo. Just because it's not NYC doesn't mean there aren't firms. Now, are there firms willing to deal with an international student? Dunno. In general, the dialogue that large metros are the only places for architects is incorrect and growing tiresome. You couldn't pay me enough to work for a firm in a large metro.

Jan 10, 18 11:35 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

I thought I qualified my statement fairly well. Toledo doesn't offer too many opportunities and it's hard to dispute that a major metropolitan area wouldn't have more to offer for an international student who may need a working permit in the future. In the same state, Columbus, Cleveland and Cincinnati offer far more opportunities over Toledo for someone trying to study and practice concurrently and contain reputable state school(I would consider those major metro areas over Toledo). However, I agree that NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, etc are not for everyone(or anyone?).

Jan 10, 18 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Ahmad, the strength of degree argument is endless and I can't give you an answer. People will argue that Ivy league degrees will ensure success but there are plenty of people who don't go to Harvard who end up just fine. Bowling Green isn't particularly well known. Ultimately you are judged on what you know and what you can do.

Jan 10, 18 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Well if you do the CM program and go work as a Construction Manager you will be better off,make near double the money. You might not be the one drawing the lines but often you are making many of the high level decisions that a principle in an architects office would make.

You could work for a GC or developer or as an owners rep, you don't have to be in the trenches with the rest of us architects.

Also- since you already have an architecture degree you do not need another one and many firms would value the knowledge of CM- only the academic architects that do not actually build anything would view it negatively.

Jan 10, 18 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

I always thought this was a interesting program  for a cheaper state school as well...

http://www.esf.edu/fnrm/gradua...

Jan 10, 18 11:19 am  · 
 · 
ahmad4343

Thanks for your advises , I really appreciate that advice , it make me feels encouraged to continue.

you forget to mention that New York accommodation is expensive while Ohio is double cheaper as I think. Plus the tuition fees difference between both of them is just 1000$. from webometrics website ranking I see that bowling green state could be better but I am not sure and that is why I am asking here.

Jan 10, 18 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: