Archinect
anchor

Architect vs. Architectural Engineer

jangel

I am currently working for my b.arch (5 year program) but I am not sure if I really want to be in charge of creatively designing different buildings (especially if there are no jobs for this in the future). I was wondering if it was smarter to transfer and go into architectural engineering, architectural technician, etc. 

Is it possible to complete my b.arch and then going to graduate school for something more like engineering, does it work like that?

Lastly, if I do continue the b.arch program, is it smart to go to graduate school and get my masters for architecture? Do I still need to do a few  years of interning and sit down for the tests after getting my masters?

Jan 5, 18 2:35 pm
Non Sequitur
  1. Who said there are no jobs?
  2. Who said you'd be in charge creatively, specially starting out in your career?
  3. You can take as much school and debt as you want. Plenty of people decide to hide from the real world through academia.
  4. Check with your local licensing authority on what the requirements for licensing are.  Location kinda helps since requirements range from country to country.
  5. Do you know how architecture is practice in an office?

Jan 5, 18 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Architectural engineers are a type of engineer who specialize in engineering as related to buildings. A technician is basically a drafter with a 2 year associates in building technology or the like. If you have a B Arch, you don't need an M Arch to get a license but you do need experience to get licensed. You will probably need to satisfy a number of pre-req's to even qualify for applying to a masters of engineering at least that is what I found after looking into it myself with a B Arch. 

Jan 5, 18 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Harlisa

agreed

Jan 26, 18 1:58 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Don't worry about having to be in charge of designing buildings ;)

Jan 5, 18 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

If you don't show that ambition no one will let you, you can draft away happily until eternity/redundancy.

Jan 6, 18 3:10 am  · 
 · 
nickmarsala

Aren't draftsman now considered an obsolete career now? I hope I am wrong!

Jan 7, 18 12:31 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You're not wrong

Jan 8, 18 9:56 am  · 
 · 

Hey, did you know. Architect works for a conceptual. It will be different word if there is engineer. Engineer works for how that can be build without change its concept. Concept just visionary, Technical is the reality. The Two still important job. But as an architect u might learn as an architectural engineer, before

Jan 26, 18 1:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: