How to do my part one year in industry abroad?



As long as a course architecture essentially is, I would like to take the opportunity of the one year work in industry I have to do before my masters in another country. I was thinking somewhere in the US like New York? One of my tutors also suggested that working out of the UK for that year is a great opportunity.

What do I need to do to work abroad for that year? I've tried to google for positions but I haven't found many part 1 Architectural assistant roles, is it called something different elsewhere, e.g. in America? 

Thank you for your help.

Jan 3, 18 1:31 pm

The "Part 1, 2, 3" system is UK-specific.  "Part 1" is roughly equivalent to the first 3 years of an US undergraduate degree, while "Part 2" is roughly equivalent to the completion of a US professional degree (B.Arch or M.Arch).  But in the US there isn't any requirement or tradition of an experience year associated with the "Part 1" part of one's education.  In the US some people do decide to take a year or more off to work full-time during the course of completing their degree, or between completing their undergrad and graduate degrees, but it's not a standardized thing, so you won't find anything called that.

Entry-level positions in US architecture firms are often called interns ("intern" in US architecture firms can mean anything from an unpaid student position to a full-time salaried position for someone with several years of experience but not yet licensed), assistants, associates, designers, or technologists. 

Jan 3, 18 2:50 pm

Thank you for your reply,
Do you know if there is a specific one I would need to apply for so that it would count towards my part one? 
Or would it probably be wise to do it elsewhere as unpaid wouldn't work well for me - I would need to pay for living costs.

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

  • ×Search in: