Archinect
anchor

Pritzker 2018

archietechie

That time of the year again folks. Was announced yesterday it seems so guess away.

If the results of the past 2 years are of any indication, I'd say it's someone of everyone's radar. There seems to be a stronger focus on sustainability of late.

Jan 3, 18 5:25 am
randomised

Still think Francine Houben/Mecanoo would be a worthy winner.

Jan 3, 18 6:04 am  · 
 · 
hellion

I can think of several (Japanese) architects due for one, but it would be nice if they give Lina Bo Bardi a posthumous Pritzker. 

Jan 3, 18 7:57 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I am not a fan of posthumous Pritzkers myself unless they finally give one to Vitruvius.

Jan 3, 18 8:14 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

Donald Trump 

Jan 3, 18 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

It's gotta be Peter Eisenman! It's gotta be!!! 

This is his year...I can just feel it!!! 

Jan 4, 18 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

can a monkey produce literature?

Jan 4, 18 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Are you throwing shade at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQFEaAUrfAk

Jan 4, 18 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

You fools!

It's all too mainstream!!

Jan 4, 18 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

heatherwick

Jan 4, 18 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I read that Sir R. Balkins is actually in some sort of architecture related college course.  I say give the man the recognition he deserves! 

Jan 4, 18 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Dogma

Jan 4, 18 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Dogma is seriously awesome, hopefully next year I'll work with them if all goes right (knocks on trespa).

Jan 5, 18 2:20 am  · 
 · 

Kanye West.

Or Brad Pitt and his tiny hammer.

Jan 4, 18 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

According to my bookie out in Las Vegas, Sally Bowles, these are the odds on favorites to win this year's Pritzker:

Peter Eisenman    2:4

Jeanne Gang

Jan 4, 18 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

3:1                    Vanilla Ice   6:1                 Brad Pitt    8:1           

Jan 4, 18 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Well, Vanilla does have that home renovation show so that gives him some architectural credibility in the eyes of Pritzker.

Jan 4, 18 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Apple: "Providing Quality to the Core"

Jan 5, 18 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

As much as I would hate to see it- BIG

Jan 7, 18 10:33 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

BIG’s projects are essentially siteless. They can be located anywhere as long as the concept can be reduced to a few formal diagrams. 

That is all BIG is good at- explaining and having a clear formal concept. Not to belittle that talent, but I really don’t think that is what a Prtizker prize is for... BIG was just able to apply a playful representational method that was able to attract developers who wanted something cool done quick and dirty.

“Cool” wasn’t a word allowed in architecture school, so I don’t see why critics would take it seriously either.

Jan 7, 18 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

BIG is the true McDonald's of architecture. Yes is bore!

Jan 7, 18 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

^ ^

Because the Pritzker has never been awarded to architects who are primarily invested in clear formal concepts with no regard to site or context...

Jan 7, 18 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Bench- quit your loyalty to Bjark and be objective here. Is his work interesting- sure, but when you see hundreds of similar formalisms on ArchDaily, you begin to wonder- how is BIG different? 

Bjark is a good salesman, and while I will always contend that he is a successful architect, I cannot say his work is truly exceptional- like wow, I have never seen that before. And that’s the type of progress I believe the Pritzker should try to promote.

Jan 7, 18 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

A jury of Pritzker winning architects will never award one to BIG, especially since they've gone too corporate (in North America) recently. They went from OMA-light (the Copenhagen years) to SOM-light (since they also opened an office in NY). Bjarke sold out and his wings are burning like Icarus's.

Jan 7, 18 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

What negative form of criticism are you referring to Positive?

Jan 8, 18 3:19 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Jan 8, 18 8:46 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Well, if that current state was already written about some time ago, maybe we should have listened better and could have avoided this current conundrum, or not...whatever man, it's pointless ;)

Jan 8, 18 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

When the Dude talks about his carpet, that's how I imagine interior decorators

Jan 9, 18 4:02 am  · 
 · 

Kazuyo Sejima just joined the 2018 Pritzker jury: https://archinect.com/news/art...

Jan 30, 18 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Last I heard results will be out in March. Any one else can confirm?

Feb 16, 18 1:19 am  · 
 · 
ovalle

Balkrishna Doshi won

Mar 7, 18 10:01 am  · 
 · 

Fascinating. Someone could have cleaned up on that bet. 

Beautiful work, but now (like Fehn and others in the past) we need the retrospective monograph so we can see the depth/breadth of his career! 

Mar 7, 18 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Archinect

Balkrishna Doshi wins 2018 Pritzker Prize

Mar 7, 18 11:46 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Told y'all the winner's someone non mainstream ^^

Guy's like a FLW cross with Le Corb tho.

Mar 7, 18 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Steven Holl got left out again xD

Mar 7, 18 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: