Archinect
anchor

Floor plan functionality, ideas?

ArtFeel

hello all, 

I thought I’d post it here to see what you - experts guys think? 

Trying to create a functional and compact floor plan for a family of 2 with possibly 1-2 kids. 

What do you think? Should I change anything? 

Thank you 

Regards 

Art 

Dec 5, 17 5:58 pm
geezertect

Cutting thru the kitchen to get from the entry to the living and dining area?  A bathroom opening directly into the living area?  A homeowner who acts as his own architect has a fool for a client.

Dec 5, 17 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
ArtFeel

Hi geezertech, Thank you for the feedback. I will definitely rethink the entry and bathroom. The constraints are the width of the block, the living area and the outdoor dining have to be on the northern side (where they are). How would you solve the entry?

Dec 5, 17 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

you might want to reconsider your alfresco dining, it's too far away from the kitchen.

Dec 5, 17 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
ArtFeel

Hi JLC-1, Thank you for the feedback! Really appreciate. I agree it is an issue, however, it has to be on the northern side (where it is now). The only way to solve I see is to bring the kitchen closer to that side, which is a bit challenging. I ll try to rearrange things a bit. Cheers,

Dec 5, 17 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Hire an architect, please.

Dec 5, 17 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

That's not a good floor plan.

Hire an architect to work with you and your family.

Dec 5, 17 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
ArtFeel

Hi Citizen, Thank you for the comment. I can always hire an architect or designer. I just found this wonderful community and thought I'd share my plans with you guys for some constructive feedback and discussion on how to fix issues if there are some: like bathroom proximity to living area, or kitchen entry. If you have some advice to give other than hire an architect, I will be grateful. Otherwise - thank you!

Dec 5, 17 8:26 pm  · 
 · 

I think you're doing a great job and should build it exactly as it's drawn.

Dec 5, 17 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
ArtFeel

Thank you Miles!

Dec 5, 17 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Turn the table 90 degrees. Peninsula kitchens are not very nice - too small for more than one person.

Dec 5, 17 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
ArtFeel

Great feedback Tinbeary, Thank you. I will try and give it a thought! Could be an option! Cheers, Art

Dec 5, 17 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Total garbage.

I say you won't learn unless you build it out full scale.  Go for it.

Dec 5, 17 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

oh I thought you guys said go do it

Dec 7, 17 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
ArtFeel

apologies gentlemen I must have misinterpreted the purpose of your community forum. 

Regards 

Art 

Dec 5, 17 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

Art

You have a constrained site that you tried to squeeze a conventional plan onto, and you had to make all of the spaces smaller with poor spatial relationships as a result. Just because the queen size bed block fits in the room doesn't mean the room works- or do you plan on sparsely furnishing the joint? 

Work on devising more clever ways to delineate public/private spaces and try to make spaces of a functional size and proportion, while leveraging the structural system to make this an economical and aesthetic solution.

Good luck

Dec 5, 17 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

it's perfect actually, don't change a thang.

Dec 5, 17 10:17 pm  · 
 · 

(I feel bad but it's in our nature...)

Dec 5, 17 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

100% of 0 is 0 .

Dec 8, 17 12:39 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

99.999% of everything is nothing.

Dec 10, 17 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

It's just a hobby, right? Why would anyone get offended by a simple question?

Dec 5, 17 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Make it more like the Rietveld-Schröder house, nothing wrong with being overambitious.

Dec 6, 17 12:15 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

If I have done the dimension conversions accurately, this is a 992 sq foot home. Three bedrooms is pushing it, especially for a couple with no kids. Even if they have kids later two could probably share a bedroom for a while. Use a third bedroom space for a family room/office/whatever area. It could always be reconverted to a bedroom.

In addition to what has been said how do you get to the 'alfresco' dining area when the two outside doors are on the other end of the house?

You do need a front door opening to a small foyer with a coat closet at least. The foyer should lead into the living room. If it is in the budget would put a fireplace between the living and dining areas as a partial divider and possibly swap their locations.  

The one big area for the living room/dining room is nice, but I am no fan of having the kitchen out in the open with them but that is your choice. I would put the kitchen where the upper right bedroom is to be close to the dining area and outside area (with a door to the outside)

Just initial thoughts.

Dec 6, 17 9:24 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Volunteer, indeed!  :o)

Dec 6, 17 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Please contact me I can help you design the house of your dreams 

Dec 10, 17 5:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: