Archinect
anchor

Window at the End of a Hallway

wurdan freo

Ok.. Supposedly a Window at the End of a Hallway is a no- no says a client who I'm building a house for. The architects he has spoken with have told him so. Other than someone accidentally walking into it or through it, I don't see the reason for such a blanket statement. Maybe I missed the class on no windows at the end of a hallway, but in this specific instance it improves functionality. Any one care to enlighten me?

Dec 5, 17 1:19 pm
Wilma Buttfit

Windows at the end of hallways are great in my opinion. What do they want at the end of the hallway?

Dec 5, 17 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Enlightenment is NOT found at the END of a hallway! (Its in the fridge.)

Dec 5, 17 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

No enlightenment necessary, the architect is an idiot.

Dec 5, 17 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

MIles, that's a redundancy.

Dec 5, 17 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

https://i.imgur.com/wQse6TU.mp4

Dec 7, 17 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

likely due to some ridiculous feng-shay nonsense.

Dec 5, 17 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

I can only think if the hallways is a corridor on an apartment building that it would need to be rated window / wall if it is close to another building or property line. Hall windows, especially in stairways in single family detached homes are common. But if the client want this don't argue it is their house their money.

Dec 5, 17 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Is there another way to daylight the hall and still meet this odd superstition?

Dec 5, 17 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

so you didn't ask why to your client? we may be spinning here for no reason

Dec 5, 17 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Maybe the idea is that for an efficient use of space the hallway would end with a door to the last room served by the hallway? That said, if room space is not an issue I think a hall window would be a strong asset.

There are plenty of instances of windows at stair landings between floors. Those windows are neither first or second story windows but between floors.

Dec 5, 17 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Unless there is something we don't know about the design, or some kind of crazy code issue, a window (or any kind of focal point) is an amenity for a hallway, rather than just a blank wall.

As Miles kindly pointed out, the architect may be experiencing some mental deficiencies.

Dec 5, 17 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

When I step out of my bedroom first thing in the morning, the last thing I should be in front of is a window. Maybe a skylight is the better option?

Dec 5, 17 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

ok- window treatments ftw

Dec 5, 17 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

What's wrong with a little light at the end of a tunnel?

Dec 6, 17 2:29 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Yeah, if you're a two face! https://youtu.be/TFeUrC2gR30

Dec 6, 17 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
hellion

Oh, there is a light, never goes out
There is a light, never goes out

Dec 6, 17 2:40 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

pretty much what I thought... but when the client mentioned "architects" plural... thought maybe I missed some dumb rule along the way. He didn't know why, just that his architects had mentioned it... 

Dec 6, 17 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I really hate to kill a client... but sometimes it's called for. Like here.

Dec 6, 17 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

dead end corridor...maybe?

Dec 6, 17 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: