Archinect
anchor

How to make a basswood section model with complex curves?

autofireunit

Hi all,

I am currently studying architecture and I am required to build a section model. However, my design has multiple complex curves which requires some sort of "2 way basswood bending". I am asked to think about the model making process as a real life construction, which means it should be logically made from pieces but not foam cut or heavily machined. I am thinking about make structure slices first and put subdivided facade over it. what do you think?

I am looking at the JFK terminal 5 as it looks similar to my project. hope this helps!

Thanks!

Nov 30, 17 1:12 am

2 Featured Comments

All 13 Comments

randomised

Are you using the basswood to make the formwork to pour concrete? If not, try looking for other, less monolithic, references.

Nov 30, 17 3:06 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

One way is sectioning but its a tedious process or perhaos 3D print the model. Judging from your task however, you must be a 1st/2nd year student at most? Long way to go before delving into complex models. 

Is the building by eero saarinen? I forgot.

Nov 30, 17 4:14 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
senjohnblutarsky

That should totally be a carved foam model.  If you're supposed to be thinking about the construction of the building, carve the foam, use it as a negative.  Make a mold, then cast your actual model.  

You're using basswood for something it doesn't want to do. 

Nov 30, 17 10:11 am  · 
 · 

consider carving a foam form in two parts and laminating thin strips of basswood between the top and bottom forms. This is similar method that bent plywood furniture is made. Lots of glue and clamps trial and error. 

Just a suggestion 

It looks hard but doing hard things is how people learn and grow.

good luck

Peter N

Nov 30, 17 10:54 am  · 
 · 
randomised

If bending the wood, by making it warm and wet and fixating it in its twisted form isnt possible, you could do something like Kas Oosterhuis' iWeb pavilion, Jürgen Mayer H.'s umbrella in Seville, Marc Fornes' contraptions or every other yesteryears archistudent pavilion for that matter that uses flat CNC'd pieces to puzzle together complex and leaking shapes.

Nov 30, 17 10:56 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

*shrug* our local art supplies always carried 1/32" basswood.  That stuff bent however I needed without wetting it.

Nov 30, 17 11:15 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Ah, yes, I mixed it up with balsa.

Nov 30, 17 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

the age old problem of blobitecture rears its ugly head

Nov 30, 17 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
autofireunit

Thanks guys! I will think about the valuable feedback. The time frame doesn't allow me to do any molding but I trying to see if I can use the old time shipbuilding method aka steaming wood to construct the curves, tackling the issue head on!

Nov 30, 17 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Does your school have a vacuum former? The foam could be carved in a couple hours if you're competent at such things. Plop it on the vacuum bed, and make pieces of the form. Put the pieces together and make the mold. Steaming wood is going to take longer than you think, and you may still be looking at doing something else if it fails.

Nov 30, 17 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I’ve made similar curves with steam basswood however, they are hard to keep curved so I had a bent steel frame superglued under to hold the shapes.
Nov 30, 17 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Steam bent wood springs back in a way that's hard to control, so either do as Non Sequitur suggests, or do what I would do, and laminate the curve from thinner strips of basswood (or ash, which bends nicely). Start with a two-sided form, then glue strips together and clamp inside the form. Yellow carpenter's glue will work ok but will creep over time; this is what I would use: http://www.dap.com/dap-product....

Nov 30, 17 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
3tk

Carve a form (or 3D print), warm/hot bleach+water bath, iron to heat (or steam the wood in a pot, clamp, layer and laminate and dry before releasing from a form.  I will say the drying process takes time; I think with blow dryers my 3~4 1/32" layers took 3 days to be comfortably dry.

One other option is if you have access to a CNC lathe, you could carve out the form from a hardwood board, or even hand carve/sand.  I remember seeing a lot of wood models that seem to have been built this way in architecture schools in Germany (back in the 90s so most likely without CNC help).

Nov 30, 17 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

This wood be my approach. Get a big block of wood and a chisel and go to town. Lots of sandpaper. Whittle away material to sculpt the form from solid wood. Then you can glue strips to that if you must. I would probably cover it in Gesso or paint it to avoid the visual distractions of the wood grain. 

Nov 30, 17 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

take basswood.

pulverize into sawdust.

mix with glue.

paint layers into a carved model with paper backing..

sand the paper after you're done.

you're working on the wrong medium, but yeah.

Nov 30, 17 8:43 pm  · 
 · 

Wire frame, paper skin. 

Next.

Nov 30, 17 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: