Archinect
anchor

Interning in an Architecture firm with no Design/Architecture degree

LianneSn

Hello all!!

I am an M. Arch 1 applicant who do not come from a design background. I am also living in Canada / applying for Canadian schools. I come from an advertising background and thus do not have any graphic design or Autocad skills. 

I am fairly confident that I can get at least 1 of the schools I am applying for, as I am applying for programs specifically oriented towards people with no architecture background. 

If I get in, I want to make sure it is the field for me. Thus, I am looking to find an architecture internship prior to enrolling. As I quit my job, I have the time to enrol in continuing education courses to learn AUTOCAD, Sketchup, etc. I have also taught myself basic architectural sketching. 

My question is, with my continuing education, grad school application portfolio and some prior work experience (although in an unrelated field), what are my chances to find an internship in an architecture / interior design office in Canada, most specifically in cities such as Toronto, Vancouver, etc... goal of this internship is to see how architects work on a daily basis...

Thank you in advance for your feedback!!!

Nov 29, 17 6:56 pm
Non Sequitur
Your chances?

I’d put them at zero at finding a job in an office. What do you have to contribute that an office would value above the plethora of current students and fresh grads have? Specially in larger cities.

Your only chance would be to call around and see if anyone would be willing to give you a tour of an existing office. I know we’ve done it before, but it’s not a position.

As a side not, please understand that the term internship in Canada is reserved for high school coop. the traditional unpaid internships you hear others complain about is non existant here. 8-)
Nov 29, 17 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

some large firms have non design related employment opportunities as admin staff whose sole role is to write proposals prepare marketing material, web design stuff.  check in with a few large more prestigious firms, you might have some luck there as its very busy in both Toronto and Vancouver these days.  tough to get in as a technician or designer without any skills but if you can translate what skills you have it might work out.

Nov 29, 17 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
You can also contact your provincial organization or local RAIC chapter and ask if they know of anyone willing to show you around. They normally have a short list of experienced archs with time on their hands.
Nov 29, 17 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

If your advertising background includes adobe work, just show them a portfolio of that and get hired in the marketing department.  

Nov 29, 17 9:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: