Archinect
anchor

Construction Docs and UL

BulgarBlogger

General Question:

UL Assemblies feature specific products that were tested as part of an assembly. UL guarantees that specific assembly with those specific products can withstand fire up to a certain period time.

Now what I don't understand is the following:

Unless you are specifying the exact same products as were tested as part of the UL-rated assembly, what is the point of putting a UL# next to a wall type?

Nov 27, 17 8:01 pm
b3tadine[sutures]
Good question. Many times I've seen that a one hour assembly is listed, and becomes a means and methods decision, left to the contractor. I only get twitchy around exposed fire caulk. I hate red fire caulk at the top of walls especially if they're white walls.
Nov 27, 17 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's available in white now.... and grey.

Nov 27, 17 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't think you understand what UL is.  It is more than a shopping list of products.  One needs to consider product brand, thickness, acceptable deflections, and application.  All these are prescribed in great detail and although it might look like all the pieces are interchangeable on the fly... they are often not.

If the GC does something else, it is your job to ask for a redo, and more importantly, you should have asked for shop drawings in order to confirm ahead of time.  I make it well known in my projects that I have no leniency for incorrect UL assemblies on my projects.

The easiest way to deal with UL is to specify the design numbers that allow multiple manufacturers.  That way you allow the GC to pick what is cheaper but still meet the spec.

Nov 27, 17 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Non, you are correct, I only point that out because I've seen it so often lately, that it was laziness from all involved to not take care.
Nov 27, 17 8:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: