Archinect
anchor

Gift ideas for architects

Jasonbrg

Hi folks, looking for some cool gift ideas for my girlfriend (who is also an architect). Something (or some things) in the range of $100 - $500 US. 

She loves bags in particular and is always complaining about the lack of minimal, clean accessories (without flashy logos, etc). Any thoughts? 

Nov 25, 17 5:49 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

Us architects like everything Frank Lloyd Wright

Nov 25, 17 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Someone recently suggested this bag in another thread:

https://theatelieryul.com/coll...

Nov 25, 17 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Jasonbrg

Oh wow this is really cool, thank you!

Nov 26, 17 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

That or a paid invoice is always nice for an architect.

Nov 25, 17 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It really depends, is she licensed?

Nov 26, 17 3:25 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Coach $300

Nov 26, 17 11:58 am  · 
 · 
sarahharistwill

Hi - I recently purchased the Enveloppe ($385) and the Pochette ($105) from www.theatelieryul.com and I have to say I was really impressed with the quality. I was also surprised to hear that all their products are hand made in Montreal and the company was founded by an architect. 

The Enveloppe is great for A3 papers. Well worth the $, a great small business that's worth supporting IMO. 

Good luck! 

Nov 26, 17 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Jasonbrg

Oh wow, this is the same company jw468 recommended. Interestingly enough I also saw this co' featured on the Arch Daily and Dezeen gift guides. Will purchase something from them (and maybe for myself as well). Thanks all!

Nov 26, 17 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

How easy architects are tricked into buying something, all they need is to see some adverts on an architecture blog ;) But I hope she'll like it. Let us know how it went.

Nov 29, 17 1:46 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I'd gift an experience rather than a physical object, but that's just me. I personally don't get that love of or obsession with bags, how many does she have/need and I'm almost sure you'll pick the wrong one anyway. Never ever buy a girlfriend a bag (or shoes for that matter) unless she is standing right next to you pointing to the one she wants/"needs".

Nov 27, 17 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Expound please.

Nov 28, 17 12:00 am  · 
 · 
hellion

I think what randomised means (in my interpretation) with "experience rather than a physical object" is giving a gift that you'll recall one day or memorable over time like going to a concert, traveling to places or staycation at a nice cabin somewhere with a lovely view, doing a workshop together, etc.

Nov 28, 17 12:39 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Exactly James.

Nov 28, 17 12:42 am  · 
 · 
randomised

The particulars of the exact right bag or shoes as opposed to the wrong ones are way over my head. I'd rather pick my nose hair than a bag or shoes for my girlfriend...

Nov 28, 17 12:52 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Good point all. Nevertheless, women tend to be more materialistic in their youth and a little shower of gifts wouldn't harm anyone. Especially so if that'll make them not bother you for the next few months.

Nov 28, 17 1:54 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Some good advice here by rando and James, concert tickets, season pass to the museum, etc are fantastic gifts for an architect. We like to get out and experience stuff.

Nov 28, 17 8:10 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

yeah, a big bottle of tequila patron cafe, both an experience and a gift.

Nov 28, 17 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Ah, the gift of mind-erasing.

Nov 28, 17 11:58 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

not at all mind erasing, only if you take more than needed - but the coffee adds another layer to deal with.

Nov 28, 17 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Layers are good.

Nov 29, 17 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The best gift for an architect is looking at buildings with their sweetie.

Nov 29, 17 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I got a trip to NYC last Christmas. Other places architects like to go are New Orleans, Chicago, Santa Fe, LA, Boston, DC, Savannah, Seattle, abroad of course too. Ok, I know what I'm going to ask for this year. 

Nov 28, 17 10:26 am  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

She likes bags?  Take a close-up photo of your ball-bag.  Photoshop it into a beach scene with a nice sunset.  Frame it in a highly polished chrome frame.  Engrave the frame to read "Blue Without You".  Take her to Blue Ball, Pennsylvania and take one of those tours on the Amish horse and buggy rides.  I could go on and on, but you make up your own story. 

Nov 28, 17 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
proto

surprised no one posted a chrome dildo yet

we're pleasers at heart

Nov 28, 17 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

Here you go: gift guide for architects written by a woman architect: https://www.l-2-design.com/201...

Nov 28, 17 7:26 pm  · 
 · 

The necklace, especially. You cannot lose with that. Unless she's expecting the small box you give her to be an engagement ring, of course.

Nov 28, 17 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

And even typing that I suddenly feel so old and ashamed of my historical gender-normative assumptions. Maybe she will be the one giving *you* an engagement ring - I did the proposing to my husband, after all.

Nov 28, 17 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Those steel toe boots look great (also when not visiting job sites).

Nov 29, 17 1:52 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The dot notebook is nice, but not romantic.

Nov 29, 17 9:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: