Archinect
anchor

Black Kitchens

wurdan freo

while the photos look great, something about the uniformness of black leads me to believe that functionality would get lost in a primarily black kitchen. Definitely some more successful than others. 

https://www.houzz.com/ideabook...

Nov 22, 17 10:01 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 12 Comments

hellion

The only thing I find seemingly hassling about some of the cabinetry shown in the link is the lack of handle to pull out/open the drawers and cabinets. There has to be that mechanism where you just push it and it ejects so you can pull it.

Nov 22, 17 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
I always wonder about the cleanliness of black restrooms and kitchens. How do you know you've cleaned the gunk off? Though I suppose anyone requesting spaces such as these probably doesn't cook and or has a maid.
Nov 22, 17 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
chrisdecouto

The milk spill would show well.

Nov 24, 17 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

for me anyway, i don't like the way it sucks in the light. Feels like a black hole or oblivion... kinda the opposite of what i want a home to feel like... for me anyway.

Nov 22, 17 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I have a black countertop in my kitchen and it is easy to keep clean and I like how it looks deep like an abyss. The white cabinets are hard to keep clean though. What do you like? 

Nov 23, 17 12:13 am  · 
 · 
randomised

This is a black kitchen:

https://www.dezeen.com/2017/08...

Wanted to post this project initially for that lazy student? that had to make a black and white house, but I couldn't be bothered. I like it, very radical yet simple. And you anyhow should always clean your kitchen regularly whether it looks dirty or not, just assume it always is dirty even when it looks clean and give it a good scrubbing (I've worked as a cook).

Nov 23, 17 3:42 am  · 
 · 
randomised

First thought it read Black Kittens...

Nov 23, 17 4:00 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
randomised

Some pics for the ones to lazy to click links :)

project by Jean Verville by the way, a Canadian artist/architect.

Nov 23, 17 3:46 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Oddly, I've never heard of him... but a quick glance at his website, and I can see why. Not a big fan.

Nov 23, 17 11:21 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I rather like it, rigid yet playful.

Nov 23, 17 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

Clearly this is a stunt kitchen, and I wouldn't be surprised if the real kitchen is a converted laundry room in the basement. 

But the lighting is so poor it's not even a striking stunt kitchen. 

And - def not baker friendly.

Nov 23, 17 10:36 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I can't tell if the lighting is poor since it is being absorbed by all that black.

Nov 23, 17 11:45 am  · 
 · 
archinine
So are all the bowls and plates and utensils also black? You know to make it as difficult as possible to see your way around.
Nov 23, 17 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

And squid ink in every dish.

Nov 23, 17 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Or liquorice, liquorice is awesome. Going to get some first thing tomorrow.

Nov 23, 17 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

You should always place the slave quarters as closely as possible to the black kitchen.  Or I may have been reading far too many historical documents.  

Nov 28, 17 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Next up is the totally black hospital operating room. The surgeons, in their black scrubs will operate under....(wait for it).......black light. What could go wrong?

Nov 28, 17 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

Black shows dirt and dust and if cleanliness in your kitchen is the goal making it obvious when the cabinets counter or other surfaces are dirty could be helpful.

A lot of kitchen dust and dirt tends to be white or light gray. Calcium deposits tend to be white as well, seeing where coffee was spilled may be  problem.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Nov 28, 17 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

Black granite tops, black slate floor, teak cabinets, cedar paneling. It does soak up the light at night but it's fully functional and perfectly comfortable to cook in. 

Nov 28, 17 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: