Archinect
anchor

Low Hanging Fruit; Is this possible?

Hotpinksalt

I know this is a pretty high caliber forum and I fully expect to get some zingers for even posting, but here is my question. How possible is it at 41 years old to get an internship with an architecture firm after a 12 year gap since graduation with a B.Arch? I am from a very rural area, but I had one really good job straight out of college that got me to NYC for 2 years with my husband/design partner, but after that, went through a really nasty divorce and moved back to the sticks. I did freelance 3D artwork for a few years, then became a stay at home step mom to 4 boys. On the side, I did assorted jobs from house-keeping, waitstaff, and even started my own handmade, artisan soap company. That relationship/family ended and so I decided to go back to college for nursing, but realized that my true passion was still in architecture. You see, while I was busy being a mom, I helped to homestead two estates from raw land to fully constructed homes and was never happier. Now I want to attend a semester at a community college and brush up on my drafting/BIM/Revit skills and attempt to go for an internship to be employed at least as a drafter and if I am lucky, transition into an intern to eventually seek licensure. I am still from a rural state and as I recall, there were plenty of the so-called 'boring' firms that do the base of architectural work... the non-glamorous kind... but the kind that can at least get you employed in standard architectural work. (My NYC job was high-tech, dot com boom work). 

Basically, do you think I can get a job and grow with a company now that I have my life to dedicate to architecture? I've been a mom. I've been a business owner. I've been a homestead builder. Now I need a real job that pays the bills.

Nov 19, 17 4:34 pm
geezertect

I helped to homestead two estates from raw land to fully constructed homes and was never happier.

Not sure exactly what that means, but if you were happiest doing that, why are you trying to go back to the standard issue drafter-to-architect track?  The fact that you dabbled with nursing indicates that you weren't thrilled with the one job you had in a conventional architecture office.  You sound more than a little unfocused, so you need to really get in touch with what you want out of your career and why.  Good luck with whatever you do.

Nov 19, 17 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
hellion

In all seriousness, age is nothing but a number! Although I know age and sexism are two very common issues in corporate America, you're never too young or too old to pursue what is it that you want to do. I think you should assemble your CV or resume first (maybe a portfolio as well). That way you can point out what your past and present experiences are currently in your bag, and what you need to add in order to get at least a commission (something to add to your portfolio and to break the stagnancy of your practice) or the job position/kind of work you're after in a firm. If you have the time and money, get into a course in school that could at least update your CV and put you back in the present architecture track. Maybe you'll find potential employers or colleagues who can find you a job while at it. Good luck!

Nov 19, 17 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Honestly, it depends on what salary you are looking to pull, and what you are applying for, but in my estimation, you'd make a damn fine PM. If I were you, I'd get with some smaller firm, or development company, where you don't need to fucking worry about BIM. Your assets are not in running details, but in constructing buildings.

Nov 19, 17 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
hellion

you'd make a damn fine PM

Agree!

Nov 19, 17 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Agreed - it seems like you could run the hell out of some projects. Play that up and go for it. If staying small, find a place where the sole architect wants to design and not take care of the management stuff. When I start my own firm, I'm totally finding someone to help with the PM stuff.

Nov 19, 17 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

Free advice on the internet is worth exactly what you pay for it. 

That being said, sounds like you have no shortage of skills, experience and determination. It would be a shame to waste that by trying to get a shitty job in a shitty profession. Exercise the skills you have instead of trying to compete with over-educated under-experienced 22 year-olds.*

*No offense intended to over-educated under-experienced 22 year-olds.

Nov 19, 17 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

It already almost reads like an application letter, don't see why you couldn't come back to architecture.

Nov 19, 17 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

With that kind of determination, it's almost a waste if you didn't come back to your beloved profession.

Nevertheless you should temper those expectations should you aim for a draftsman type position. They don't have the luxury of overlooking the big picture.

Nov 20, 17 1:08 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Don't confuse a love of architecture as a subject with love of the profession.  Buildings can be quite fascinating.  90% of daily practice not so much.

Nov 20, 17 7:09 am  · 
 · 

Where are you willing to work? 

Nov 21, 17 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: