Archinect
anchor

MS.RED grads, what did you do before school?

needle

Hi, I hope this finds you all well. 

I am currently applying to a few MS.RED programs, and I am wondering what any graduates of this type of program did before entering their masters. I have a relatively non-linear professional past (worked at a firm, then an artist, then as a freelance designer, then that artist again, and then another firm, and now I have my own small landscape design business), and I am looking for the next thing to do to become a good candidate for school. 

I am currently enrolled in night classes which focus on development, but I can't seem to find an entry-level position that I qualify for. Any tips/stories? I appreciate your time. 

Thank you. 

Nov 19, 17 4:42 pm
Non Sequitur
What’s ms red?
Nov 19, 17 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
hellion

Master of Science in Real Estate Development lol

Nov 19, 17 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

sounds like a scam degree.

Nov 20, 17 10:26 am  · 
 · 
shji

I am planning to apply as well next year. I am sure there are students from various different experiences like fine arts and humanities. From what I find, students mostly come from economics, finance, and other business disciplines. Some construction and architecture background. Columbia I believe has many students from architecture.

Nov 20, 17 10:02 am  · 
 · 
eco_gen

I worked for Architects, General Contractors, then Real Estate Developers prior to entering my Masters in Real Estate Program. The admissions people will pay special attention to your math and science scores from undergrad. There is A LOT of Excel in the MRED programs and there is a large focus on Financial Analysis. Although you will likely do well in any Architecture courses that require imagination, I would take financial modeling courses, so you can get your foot in the door with a developer or so you can land an analyst role.

Feb 19, 18 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

I worked for several years in architecture and a couple years in real estate investment before MRED.

My classmates had all kinds of backgrounds.  I think they have different buckets that they try to fill, like construction background, finance, real estate development, architecture, etc.  A lot didn't have experience outside of their given fields.

I'm guessing you would target the design/ architecture grouping.  But to differentiate yourself I would def try to wiggle into the RE industry prior to applying so they think you are capable or making the leap. 

either as an analyst (probs lots of modeling and might be tough having 'artist' on your CV unless you have special ins, like take a finance class and crush it and a rec from the professor etc) or 

junior PM (general project management where you are the gopher for a more senior PM but will learn a lot).  guessing this is a more feasible path.

Feb 20, 18 2:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: