Archinect
anchor

Why contextualism?

davvid

What are the intentions behind the kind of popular contextualism we see so often in American cities? Is it supposed to be beautiful? Psychologically comforting? Educational? Reverential? Or is it just politically safe?

Nov 15, 17 3:53 pm

2 Featured Comments

All 8 Comments

JLC-1

none of the above, is mandated by new urbanism guidelines, drafted by lawyers and enforced by "volunteers" in HOA meetings. Oh, and it's cheap, so it can be fixed within annual budget.

Nov 15, 17 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

But what are the intentions behind the mandates and guidelines?

Nov 15, 17 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

ah, to make it look "timeless" - as if that comes from ornate and fake bricks. I see it as a transvestism, where developers sell an image of something the buyers can never be. It's not only the architects and developers fault anyway.

Nov 15, 17 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

there was a trend a while back about new campus buildings somewhere in california that were made to look like princeton, why do you think that is? beyond the architectural "contextualism" as you call it, I believe it's psychological marketing, appealing to your most basic social-climbing instincts.

Nov 15, 17 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

I think you're right. The concept of "timelessness"; the hope of being able to transcend time is major factor.

Nov 15, 17 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Princeton's collegiate gothic buildings were made to resemble the buildings of Oxford and Cambridge, so the Cali buildings were copies of a copy.

Nov 15, 17 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

exactly, and that's how everything degenerates

Nov 15, 17 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Or, improves, as new elements of the order, in this case collegiate gothic, are developed .

Nov 15, 17 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

never said degenerate was bad.

Nov 15, 17 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Nothing about New Urbanism mandates style, but unfortunately 90% of the examples of new urbanism appropriate this schlock, so people tend to mistake the style for the philosophy.

Nov 15, 17 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

My guess is that when lower ranked schools copy old Ivy League buildings, the intention is to recreate the Ivy League look, even while actual Ivies are building mostly contemporary buildings. Therefore, the architecture has much more to do with brand association than it does with history or quality.

Nov 15, 17 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Yes, the principles of NU are laudable, however, when applied to capitalist development, they translate very poorly because of the nature of the business (scale economies, lower design fees, even lower construction costs) producing neighborhoods that have to have a style, otherwise the realtor can't say a word.

Nov 15, 17 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

tduds, I didn't mention New Urbanism.

Nov 15, 17 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

JLC did.

Nov 16, 17 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

Planning departments and commissions eat that stuff up. It is less upsetting to ordinary citizens that think everything needs a foam cornice and a clay tile roof. Code words "historic fabric".

Nov 15, 17 4:06 pm  · 
 · 

Fits the "character of the neighborhood" and is essential in easing the political friction when trying to build something in an existing urban neighborhood when NIMBYs might have the political or legal means to thwart a project.

Nov 16, 17 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

I'm trying to understand what you are criticizing, besides bad architecture.  How are those two buildings "contextual"?  

Nov 15, 17 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

read the design guidelines. that's how.

Nov 15, 17 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

Erik, 

The first building is the Buffalo Naval and Military Museum. It was designed by Flynn Battaglia Architects in 2007. It is part of a master plan for an entire Erie Canal-themed district called Canalside. Local architects, activists, and politicians argue that the architecture borrows from buildings that once stood here. 

The second building is in Chicago and appears to borrow elements from Frank Lloyd Wright's prairie style. 

Nov 15, 17 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Well, this is the historical fabric at Princeton. Not a foam cornice in sight. A lot of the Princeton collegiate gothic buildings were built after the first skyscrapers, so they were anything but contemporary when built.

Nov 15, 17 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

Well, that is a select view of Princeton. There are many buildings that do not look like that, including the building that contains the school of architecture.

Nov 15, 17 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

can you shoot an arrow through all three thresholds? and who was the lord of the castle?, I see more than one blazon above the arch.

Nov 15, 17 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

There are many building at Princeton that DO look like this and, in fact, it is the signature look of the campus.

Nov 15, 17 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

I guess this is where I encounter "timelessness"... The buildings that are being built now do not look like this. These buildings were being built around the 1910s. I feel that this time-related bit of context matters quite a lot.

Nov 15, 17 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Actually the recently completed Whitman College at Princeton looks EXACTLY like this.

Nov 15, 17 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

Ok. My question still stands. What were the intentions behind Whitman College's contextualism?

Nov 15, 17 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Well, Meg Whitman said that she was just tremendously impressed with the collegiate gothic atmosphere and beauty of the campus when she attended a generation earlier and she wanted to add to that texture. And she did.

Nov 15, 17 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

The collegiate architecture is more about signaling a set of values and ideas about collage and what that means. The architecture associated with IVY League universities as compared to the brutalist and modernist architecture of community colleges is important to the institutions that shell out huge amounts of money to build and maintain these ornate buildings which are part of the package they sell to their potential students.

Nov 16, 17 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

I don't think its all that dichotomous. Plenty of Ivies have modern and contemporary buildings. And plenty of smaller or public colleges have traditional bell towers covered in ivy. 

Nov 16, 17 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
chigurh

I don't understand how the pictures in the OP relate, is this synonymous with faux historical?  In context to what?  How do 2 isolated photographs of buildings illustrate contextualism?  

Nov 15, 17 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

Do you not encounter this usage of the word in conversations with community groups? I have also heard it phrased as "sympathetic to the context" ... I posted a comment that explains why they are considered to be "contextual" by some people.

Nov 15, 17 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

of course I have heard the usage of the word, I just fail to see how your pics illustrate any context. Personally, I don't think there is any merit on a design level to engage in contextualism. Urban planning is a different story. Buildings and cities are typically more interesting when there are changes in the fabric not uniformity.

Nov 15, 17 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

The first building is based on a type of Erie Canal-era warehouse building that used to be common in the area.

The second building is in Chicago and is derivative of FLW's Prairie style that was developed in Chicago.

Nov 16, 17 11:49 am  · 
 · 
davvid

The first building is based on a type of Erie Canal-era warehouse building that used to be common in the area.

Nov 16, 17 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
TIQM

Communities often want to see new construction align with, and to be harmonious with the aesthetics of a place that they love.  That's not so hard to understand.

Whether the new construction actually achieves that goal, well, that's another story.  The two examples you've posted are simply ugly, badly proportioned and badly detailed, whether "contextural" or not. 

Nov 15, 17 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
davvid

Maybe its that idea of "alignment" that needs to be probed.

Nov 16, 17 11:55 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It's because people think their life sucks and it was better in the good old days, so if we only would build like they did back then and surround ourselves with things that look from a better past, all will be fine. But they're wrong.

Nov 16, 17 1:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: