Archinect
anchor

Confused newbie architect

jjoyner

I'm in a deep state of confusion atm. Advice from experienced people would be appreciated.

So, I joined architecture school just because it happened. I didn’t know what field I was interested in or what my passion is. But I knew I wasn’t a medial/ engineering /law person. I had to choose something and my parents also wanted me to take up a professional course. I have no complains in that though it was an extremely rough journey for me since I had to work hard twice & thrice as much as my fellow classmates. I graduated and got in a job. I’ve been working for a year now and I still can see that this is not the field meant for me. But I’m okay with working hard. No complaints. But I wish I could give in my all to something I’m good at.  I take these online tests and career aptitude tests to know more about myself, but it doesn’t strike the bell. So, my question is, should I continue to study and work further on the field of architecture or should I have a career change, but I don’t have the financial capability to do it from the scratch. Is this a waste of time and energy? And how in the WORLD can I find what I’m good at? Thank you.

Nov 13, 17 12:36 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 5 Comments

JLC-1

what is it do you need?

Nov 13, 17 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Where do you fit in here:

Image result for ikigai

Nov 13, 17 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Architecture is both a broad profession and the training provides you with a broad set of skills that can be applied in numerous other fields and/or jobs. You might not even need a career change but merely a career tweak...try first to figure out what you do and what you don't like about your job and try to increase doing more what you like and less what you don't.

I myself have been working on different placements of joints in a facade with prefab concrete elements, for about a week now, somebody shoot me...

Nov 13, 17 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
jjoyner

True. I've been jotting down my pros and cons in this field. Thanks.

Nov 15, 17 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
hellion

I had a teacher in this workshop I did a few months ago who is already an established practicing architect in Brazil who told us that even at his age and years of experience, he still doesn't know what he wants particularly for his practice, but he encouraged us to experiment and explore. You're already fresh out of school so you have that freedom now to explore new things.

Go travel, perhaps? Meet people or be around people not from the same professional environment or circle you are in and try to find out what they do and etc. until you find what suits you. Good luck!

Nov 13, 17 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
geezertect

Looking for your calling is sometimes like trying to catch a fish with your hands,  because your values, interests, etc. are (or should be) constantly morphing and changing.  It took me a long time to figure that out.  If you have a curious, active mind you are going to be finding new shiny objects that attract your interest.   That's not a bad thing.  Try to enjoy the discovery process and not just focus on a final destination, because our final, final destination is the compost heap.

Nov 13, 17 5:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: