Archinect
anchor

CA Supplemental Examination... experience?

mantaray
Hi everyone, I'm mid-career but thinking of taking on the CA license exam. The David Doucette stuff is $$$.... is it really the best way to study or is there other (free?) material that works as well? I'm a good test-taker and fairly experienced so I'm trying to find the most minimal, targeted study prep that will ideally get me to minimum pass percentage without too much fuss. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance!

Oct 29, 17 5:35 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

manta, i'm doing the same thing. got the doucette material. it's a slog. the real test, if i can stomach the material, i think the test will be fine.

Oct 29, 17 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

i bit the bullet and bought the doucette material. printed the binder and read it end to end. it did help with the CSE - do you have a study mate you can share the expense with? 

Oct 30, 17 12:53 am  · 
 · 
proto

I passed this year using the whole enchilada

It definitely helped, but be aware that it isn't necessarily complete in the depth of documentation. It is a great "big picture" overview, imho.

The flash cards & sample tests help flesh out the style of questions/answers to expect. Supposedly, CAB aren't out to trick you, but there is some very specific language that needs to be understood in a good number of the test questions.

First question out of the gate test day, my immediate reaction was "fuck if i know", but then I calmed down and went about my business. I sat for the full length of the test checking and double checking and parsing language to make sure of most of the answers. I was very relieved to see "congratulations" on my exit receipt.

Also, remember to email Doucette for the online test passcode early enough to use the sample tests (only available for 30 days). I forgot that had to happen until a week and a half out from the test and scrambled with the online materials.

Oct 30, 17 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
Excellent advice, thanks folks. This may be my Thanksgiving project... thank goodness for family babysitters
Oct 30, 17 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
curruchet_house

Anyone bought the CSE INFOGRAPHICS? 

Nov 8, 21 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

Is your experience in California? If not there is no way you could possibly pass based on experience outside of California. I went through 5 printer cartridges just down loading the material.

The same applies if your experience is only in California residential.

I passed it the first time.

However it took almost as long to assemble the materials and study as it did for all 9 sections of the ARE combined.

Nov 9, 21 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry, necropost

Nov 9, 21 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
IDH-IBC

I passed on my first try using a combination of Doucette's materials and Archibald Woo's test prep (which is a bit cheaper) https://www.cseeducational.com... I just studied an hour or so each night for about 6-7 weeks.

Nov 10, 21 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: