Archinect
anchor

Becoming a Licensed Architect (as a BCT major)

derfthearchitect

Hey guys!

I'm currently a sophomore working my Associates in Architectural Drafting and was looking to transfer to an institution that has an accredited architecture program so that I can become a licensed architect.  I have a 3.5 cumulative GPA and my academic advisor suggests that I continue the program and earn my Bachelors of Science in Building Construction Technology THEN transfer over to a school like UVA or VT to earn a Masters in Architecture, intern for a few companies, complete the ARE, and become a licensed architect as a result.

1. Would it be possible to become a licensed architect with a plan like this?

2. Should I sacrifice my intended graduation date and start over at another institution with B.Arch (last resort) ?

3.What options could I have or what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Oct 25, 17 10:53 pm
Non Sequitur

1. Yes

2. No

3. See point no. 1.  Most M.arch candidates don't know much about building science in general so you'll clearly have an advantage.

Oct 25, 17 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Non's response is right on. Technically you wouldn't be transferring into an MArch program, but going through the application process for probably a 3 year degree. I say that because, that could give you some time, if you wish, to get some professional experience, catch your breath, and save a little money before getting back into the thick of things.

Oct 25, 17 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

You should check with both schools and see if your path projects into a three year masters or a two year.  I'm fairly certain you'll be looking at three years, but they may consider your undergraduate path as adequate and make it two.  

Even if they say three now, I know VT looks at things on a case by case basis sometimes.  You can always present your case and body of work when you get to that point and see if they'll make it a two year. 

Oct 26, 17 8:09 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I've had friends who were placed into 3 year programs even with a BS Arch because the school didn't have enough places in their two year program. One was allowed to provide evidence that he had already fulfilled some of the course requirements and the school allowed him to forego some of the requirements. (I'm talking beginning architectural history courses or first structural course, not studio courses.) It freed up some of his time to pursue elective courses, including a paying side gig with a prof. He still had to stay the full 3 years, but it made the ridiculous tuition fees a little more palatable knowing he was using his time to pursue courses that fed into his final thesis (and building skills he could use in an office) and offsetting some living costs by working instead of repeating material.

Oct 26, 17 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

I think this seems like a good path to do the BST- you will have a better understanding of building construction. You already technically would have the skills to work in an architects office between the Building Science degree paired with the architectural drafting degree. You would also have the background to go into Construction Management if you choose no to not become an architect. The 3 year master is a good experience, and I would work for a year or two between or while your in school to earn some money and test the waters.

The only reason I would ever suggest doing the 5 year B.arch or 4 year preprofessional arch undergrad transfer would be if they give you all 2 years of credit as transfer. Which generally they do not in my experience- everyone seems to think their foundation program is the best.  

Oct 26, 17 10:55 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

1. David, do you bother posting anything useful anymore?

2. Another option for the OP would be to go to school, finish up both degrees. Then go to work, you should be employable with those two degrees.  Find a firm that will pay for school.  Might be even more helpful to find a firm run by people who went to your chosen school.  

Then you get paid for your work, plus get your school paid for.  It might slow you down a bit, but that's not a huge deal.  You can be logging time towards your AXP/IDP (whatever it is called now) while you work.  The masters counts for some time.  Finish up your masters, and after three total calendar years of work, you can be licensed (assuming you're in VA.  They don't care about NCARB's time requirements). 

Oct 26, 17 11:33 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Sincerely asking, do firms pay for their employee's formal education anymore? I was told to do this back when I was in high school (about 20 years ago) but I've never seen it done in architecture.

Oct 26, 17 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

My first company did. Current one doesn't seem to. The requirement was that it was a specific degree that was useful to the firm. And certain grades had to be made, otherwise the firm wouldn't pay. Several engineers did it. No one from the architecture office ever did, but we already had our degrees.

Oct 26, 17 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Cool! I am jealous. Had a friend in HS who got his ugrad degree paid for, but he works in biofuel development. 

Oct 26, 17 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: