Archinect
anchor

language requirement (M.arch apply)

james_

Hi. I'm one of international students.

Can I ask a question about TOEFL score?

As you know, many schools require TOEFL min. 100 (some schools also require each section's min. like GSD)

In this context, score 99 cannot be accepted? or has a penalty when applying?

+ If one section score is below 23(GSD min.) but total is upper 100(such as 28 27 20 29 = 104), are there some penalties to apply GSD?

I know that portfolio is very very important, but could I ask about that if the score is below 100 or each section's min, there are some penalties in this situation?

Thank you for your responses.

Oct 7, 17 3:40 am
randomised

My guess is, if you don't meet the requirements you don't meet the requirements.

Oct 7, 17 5:46 am  · 
 · 
archinine
It's Harvard. They take only the best of the best - unless you're connected and buying them a new library. Study more, take the test again, and reapply with higher scores.

You're not doing yourself any favors trying to study at an English speaking program if you don't comprehend the language at the bare minimum requirements.
Oct 7, 17 11:52 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

It depends on the university, and on the applicant.  Some schools stick to strict minimum cut-offs and your application won't be considered at all if you don't meet them, but most have some flexibility.  If you have a great portfolio, and/or great recommendations from people well-known to the reviewers then a slightly low score may be overlooked.  Your English is good enough that your post is understandable, but not so good that you'd probably fare very well in a competitive M.Arch program that requires a lot of writing (most have required theory, history, and project management courses with written assignments and term papers). Postponing an M.Arch until after further study of the language and/or some job experience in an English-speaking setting might be a good idea.

Oct 7, 17 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
james_

@randomised

@archinine

@kjdt

Thank you very much for all your answers with deep consideration. I think it is better for me to take more exams until applying programs. I didn't know that TOEFL continuously irritates me like this situation, not GRE. Thank you.

Oct 8, 17 5:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: